To ensure that we backup the right data, store backups in a separate location & maintain these for appropriate periods of time, we work closely with everyone involved. Here are the responsibilities of each stakeholder:
Creates & owns data.
- Identify the importance of their data and information to the university. Determine which data should be backed up.
- Determine the frequency and retention of backups to provide adequate protection for compliance with university, audit and legislative requirements.
Administers where the data is stored.
- Identify where supporting software & hardware is physically located.
- Maintaining application & system software at a supported version.
- Regularly validate backup jobs.
- Restore, recover and test data from the backup system as required.
Backup service provider, usually the storage team, ITS.
- Provide advice on the ITS backup and storage services.
- Manage and maintain the backup systems.
- Ensure backups are run to schedule and retention is met.
- Verify all full backup jobs.
- Maintain an audit trail of backups and restores.
- Provide reports on job success/failure. Raise event alerts.
- Perform file restore operations as required.
Full advice is published in policy documentation.