The main focus of the ITIL Service Management team during 2011, in addition to running the Change and Problem Management processes and overseeing the central CMDB, was to build on the success of the project to introduce the new Integrated Service Management tool within the ITS department during 2010. This project delivered the following:
- A centralised process for the capture of Incidents, Problems and Service Requests
- A restructure of how records are categorised using a service rather than technical based approach
- Tools for the production of service-based metrics and management information, which can be used as a basis for continual service improvement.
A Managed Project (ITS00007) was subsequently raised, within which the Service Management team have worked closely with the ITS Project Office, Application Management and a working party of ITS and University representatives, to implement several initiatives since the introduction of the new tool.
What was delivered during 2011?
Applications Implemented within ServiceNow
ResNet Port Locator and MAC address details
- Enables Help Desk to identify critical network related configuration items without the need for either the student to return to their room or an engineer to visit.
- Automated process for logging and managing ports blocked by IT Security.
Audio Visual Equipment Loan
- Enables customers to check loan stock availability and order loan of various items of Audio Visual equipment for a limited period.
ITS Personal Computers and Laptops Database
- Enables Resources team to manage lifecycle of the IT Services PC and laptop hardware.
- Supported the introduction of asset tagging of such hardware.
Software License Database
- Enables Resources team to manage the lifecycle of ITS managed software assets.
Integration of non-ITS IT Support teams within ServiceNow
- UniTemps and Life Sciences teams set up to allow them to log their IT calls within the tool.
Service Requests Made Available through the ServiceNow Service Catalogue
- Shared Drive Permissions
- Set up a new PC – main campus, Life Sciences and WMS
- Resource Accounts requests
- Enliven Network Ports
- Request Encryption software
- Additional Staff filestore
- Request software license key
- Report a PC Fault
- Audio Visual Requests
- Record TV or Radio programmes
- Filming & Multimedia
- Technical Assistance
- Borrow Audio Visual equipment
- Video Conferences
- Request a new mobile phone