If your application for a URSS bursary is successful, you are automatically entered onto the URSS Experience. This comprises of one compulsory and some optional training sessions in which you are encouraged to participate.
Your achievements will be celebrated at the annual 'URSS Research Showcase' in November, where your poster will be exhibited.
Some departments are affiliated to the URSS by offering summer research projects to undergraduate students and requiring you to participate in the URSS Experience in order to enhance your research and training experience.
What is the URSS Experience?
This is a programme of skills development opportunities that supports you to complete your summer project. It includes:
- An online reflective Portfolio with two skills development goals, look at an example Portfolio
- Workshops on research posters and abstracts
- Exhibit and present your research poster at the annual Research Showcase
- Opportunity to publish in the Reinvention Journal
- Opportunity to present at the British Conference of Undergraduate Research (BCUR) or International Conference of Undergraduate Research (ICUR)
- Receive an official Certificate of Completion
- Acknowledgement of your achievement on your Higher Education Achievement Record (HEAR).
Great experience. Got to see what the research environment was like in my field of interest which means I am now applying for PG opportunities with confidence in my choice of discipline
Student feedback from URSS Experience 2018
Do I have to produce anything for the URSS Experience?
On the URSS Experience, you are required to complete and submit the following:
- an online reflective portfolio, comprising of a researcher profile, setting two development goals and reflecting on your experiences and achievements
- an A1 research poster (landscape or portrait) of your research findings. A hard copy of the poster is required to display at the Showcase
- a 100-250 word abstract of your research
Your achievements will be celebrated at the URSS Research Showcase on 13th November 2019, where your poster will be exhibited and where you will also be invited to talk about your research and your URSS Experience.
You may also be invited to offer assistance in advising future URSS funding applicants and/or create a profile about your experiences for publication on the URSS website.