Skip to main content

Personal safety when walking in the local area

Campus is, generally, a very safe place with low crimes levels, however there have been recent incidents of street crime involving students who are travelling on foot in the local area away from the University, particularly in Canley. This has ranged from intimidation and threats for money and other valuables, to robbery involving violence.

The University is working with the police to reduce crime as quickly as possible. In the meantime, here are some basic crime prevention tips to help you stay safe:

  • Travel in groups of two or more, even during the daytime, whenever possible
  • Stick to well-lit, safe routes that can easily be overseen
  • Avoid dark and narrow alleyways and quieter areas
  • Even if it takes a little while longer, take diversions into more populated areas if there is a suitable route
  • Be aware of your surroundings at all times - do not use mobile phones/headphones whilst walking
  • Do not carry large amounts of cash/valuables
  • Keep your phone hidden away in a pocket rather than in a bag, so that you can call the police if necessary
  • Isolated short cuts should always be treated with caution, even if it seems tempting to take a short cut
  • Call the police on 999 if you have time, or raise the alarm locally by screaming/shouting/running, if you believe you are about to become a victim of crime

Stick to safer routes and well-lit paths and travel in twos or more, whenever possible. If you have any concerns about your personal safety, talk to the Campus Security team or the Police.

Safety at home

At home, always ensure you lock your front and back doors whether you are in the house or not, to protect from opportunist burglars. Many burglaries do not involve forced entry at all, but affect houses which are left unsecured. Do not leave doors or windows open when you go upstairs. Remember, doors that are closed (but not locked) still pose a risk.

When you’re out, use window locks and set burglar alarms if they are fitted. Leave lights on to give the impression that the house is occupied.

In addition, use a UV marker pen or engraver to mark your postcode and house number onto all your valuable property. Personal possessions can be registered free on:

Support for victims of crime and hate crime

If you feel you've been the victim of a hate crime, the SU has information on its website, including how to report the crime to local police and the many ways to access support available on campus.

There are a number of ways to access support if you've been affected by any crime, whether that's through the Students Union and, or, through the University's Wellbeing Support Services.