Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Money required for Tier 4 applications

I am a student banner section image

How to prepare financial evidence for your Tier 4 visa application

UK Immigration rules changed on 5 October 2020. All the webpages in relation to 'applying for a visa under the Student Route' will be updated before 26 October 2020. If you are making a visa application between 5 October and 26 October, please read our Student Immigration Update and contact us for further information.

  • Before you apply for Tier 4 leave, you will need to understand what amount of funds you need and provide evidence that you have enough funds to pay the 1st year course fees and living costs (maintenance funds).
  • If you pay your course fees in full or part to the University before you apply for your visa, the Student Finance Office will send an email to let you know your CAS has been updated. You can then use your CAS as evidence of full or partial payment for your visa application. If you submit your visa application before you get this confirmation, you should send official receipts with your supporting documents.
  • If you are studying at University of Warwick (on the Coventry campus1), you will need to show £1,015 per month for up to a maximum of 9 months (for details about maintenance funds for Tier 4 dependants, please refer to our pages on Tier 4 dependants). If the length of your course includes part of a month, the time will be rounded up to the next full month for maintenance purposes (up to the maximum of 9 months).
  • If you receive a CAS from Warwick but are studying under the 'Alan Turing Institution' arrangement and will be based in London, you will need to show £1,265 per month for up to a maximum of 9 months.
  • If you receive a scholarship from the University of Warwick to cover full or partial course fees, and/or living expenses, only the amount towards course fees will be reflected in your CAS if the scholarship is awarded BEFORE your CAS is assigned. If your scholarship is awarded after your CAS is assigned, you should submit the letter from the University confirming the scholarship with your visa application.
  • The documents you need to provide with your visa application must meet the strict requirements set by the Home Office in the Tier 4 Policy Guidance
  • You need to make sure that after you have paid the Immigration Health Surcharge and visa applicaton fee (paid when submitting your Tier 4 application) that you still have the required funds in your account (i.e. course fees and maintenance funds.)

1 Please note that there are a few courses sponsored by the University of Warwick that may be based in a partner institute (i.e. not at our Coventry campus). Please check the maintenance funds you are required to show if more than 50% of your study will be based away from Coventry.

Funds you need to show for your Tier 4 visa application
Low Risk Nationalities:

Please note that if you are from one of the Home Office's published list of Low Risk nationalities and meet other requirements, you are not required to provide documentary evidence of finances to them at the time you submit your application. However, the Home Office can request this evidence at any time and you are therefore required to have the documentary evidence to hand in case they request it. If you will be submitting your application in the UK through the Immigration Service (Warwick Application Checking Service) then we will ask that you submit this evidence to us when you submit the rest of your application, in case we are contacted and asked for this information. Failure to provide the evidence if requested, will result in your application being refused.

Frequently asked questions

Please click on the relevant section below to expand the guidance.
  • Please read the Home Office's Student and Child Student Policy Guidance alongside the information below for details on the documents you can use to show you have the required funds for your Student Visa application.

    You can use evidence of:

    • Personal cash funds held in your own account or a joint account (if you are one of the named account holders, i.e., your name appears on the statement), or, you can use money held in an personal account of your parents/ legal guardian (but not their joint account with a third party). Help to buy ISA accounts are not accepted by the UKVI, please see the HELP TO BUY ISA section.
    • Official financial or government sponsorship available to you (you can ONLY receive official financial sponsorship from Her Majesty’s Government, your home government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or a UK independent school). Please note that in most cases, sponsorship by family or relatives are not considered as 'official financial sponsorship'. If the official sponsor is an international company, the best way to evidence this is to provide print-outs from a website, or a letter including a web-link, which shows contact details for offices in more than one country.
    • A loan letter (where the loan is provided by your national, state or regional government or by a government sponsored student loan company or part of an academic or educational loans scheme). The letter must be dated no more than 6 months before the date of your application, it must show your name (you cannot use loans held in the name of your parent(s) or legal Guardian(s)); date of the letter; the financial institution's name and logo; the money available as a loan. There must also be no conditions placed on the release of the funds other than your Student Visa application being successful and the money must be available before you travel to the UK unless
      1. the loan is an academic or student loan from your country’s national government and it will be release to you on or before arrival in the UK, or
      2. the loan funds are or will be paid directly to your Student Visa sponsor before you travel to the UK and the living costs portion of the loan will be released to you on or before your arrival in the UK.
    • Other types of accounts such as help to buy ISA, shares, bonds, overdrafts, credit cards or pension funds are not acceptable. Certificates of deposit are only acceptable if they do not indicate that funds are frozen
    • You cannot use a business account to show funds (even if the business is owned by you or your parents/legal guardians)
  • The Home Office have strict requirements of what information must be included in documentation from your bank. For detailed information of the format of bank statements/bank letters you should refer to the Student Visa Policy Guidance (see link on the right hand side). If you will be obtaining a bank letter as evidence of funds, we have produced a sample (PDF Document) letter that you may find helpful.

    If you are using a parent or legal guardian's bank account you need, in addition to their bank statements or bank letter, you will need

    1. Proof of your relationship (with translation if applicable - refer to the section about English translation) in the form of:

    • Your birth certificate showing the name of your parent(s)/legal guardian(s) or
    • Your certificate of adoption showing names of both parent(s) or legal guardian(s) or
    • a Court document naming your legal guardian(s). The document used must be a legal document or a notorised copy. Please note that an afidavit stating your relationship is not sufficient, you will need a document confirming your relationship as established in court

    Remember, the definition of 'Legal Guardian' may be different in different countries but for your Student Visa application, a 'legal guardian' is someone who has either legally adopted you (in which case you must present an 'Adoption Certificate') or someone who has been given legal custody of you by the Court (in which case you must present a court document/order as confirmation of this).

    2. A letter from your parents/guardian confirming the relationship between you and them and that they have given their consent to you using the funds to study in the UK. We have produced a sample (PDF Document) letter that you may find helpful.

  • Yes, it is possible to use an overseas account as evidence you have enough funds. However, you need to be extra careful to ensure overseas bank statements meet the Student Visa Policy Guidance.

    If you are using an account that shows a foreign currency, you will need to convert the amount of the closing balance of the account (and the lowest balance in the 28-day period, if different) using the OANDA website. Use the 'Date of Application' (this is the date you make your Student Visa online application and pay the IHS charge and application fees) as the date to convert the currency.

    Please note that there are some financial institutions overseas that are not accepted by the Home Office as evidence of finances.

    The UKVI has published a list of financial institutions in various countries that do not satisfactorily verify financial statements in Appendix P of the Immigration Rules. Currently, the list affects financial institutions in Cameroon, Ghana, India, Iran, Pakistan, the Philippines, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. The list is reviewed regularly. This means that it is not possible to use financial evidence from financial institutions that appear on this list with your Student Visa application. If you do so, your application will be refused.

  • Certificates of deposit are documents issued by a bank which confirm an individual has deposited or invested a sum of money. You can use a Certificate of Deposit to show evidence of funds available to you if it meets the format set out in the Home Office document, Modernised Guidance: Studying under Tier 4, v 40.0:

    • the certificate of deposit must have been issued within 31 days of the date of application (the date of your application is the date the visa application fee is paid online)
    • at least 28 days must have elapsed between the date of the deposit and the date of issue of the certificate

    You can find an acceptable sample in the lower section of this webpage.

    The Guidance on this changed in April and November 2016 so that the requirement that 'there must be no wording on the document which indicates the funds are frozen or otherwise inacessible' has been removed.

    However, as it is a fairly new change, we would suggest that if you are using a 'Certificate of Deposit' which indicates that funds are frozen, that you include the following paragraph in the 'free text' section of your Tier 4 visa application form (or write a covering letter):

    I have submitted a ‘Certificate of Deposit’ as evidence of my funds. According to Tier 4 Modernised Guidance (page 110, v 40.0), a ‘Certificate of Deposit’ is acceptable as evidence if the following conditions are met:

    o the certificate of deposit must have been issued within 31 days of the date of application

    o at least 28 days must have elapsed between the date of the deposit and the date of issue of the certificate

    There is no longer a requirement that ‘there must be no wording on the document which indicates the funds are frozen or otherwise inacessible’. Therefore, I believe the document that I submitted meets the requirement for a Tier 4 visa.

  • The ISA is there purely for first time buyers to help with a house deposit in the UK. If the money is not being used for this then students should not have the account. Therefore the UKVI will would accept funds saved here.

  • You need to have had the required funds in your account for a consecutive 28 day period ending no more than 31 days before the date of your application.

    For example, if your 'date of application' (this is the date you pay for the Tier 4 visa application fees online) is 28 July, you must have funds held from 1 July - 28 July, if your bank statement is printed on 28 July. However, if your bank statement is printed on or states a closing balance date of 20 July (this is acceptable because it is within 31 days of 28 July), then your bank statement should cover the period with the required amount of funds held from 23 June to 20 July.

  • Your bank statement must be dated within 31 days of the date of your application (the date that the application fee payment is made).

    If you bank statement is dated after the 'date of application', the caseworker will only consider funds held for 28 days up to the 'date of application'. For example, if your 'date of application' is 1 September but your bank statement is printed on 10 September which is also the closing balance date, the caseworker will look at whether you have held the required funds for 28 consecutive days from 5 August to 1 September.

  • Yes, you can. If you are submitting evidence from two or more accounts, the Home Office will assess the funds as being the closing balance of one account plus any additional money available to you on the date of that closing balance for which you have provided the required evidence. The Home Office will always use the closing balance that most favours you. In this case, we would advise you to enclose a covering letter explaining how, with 2 accounts combined, you meet the Tier 4 requirement.

  • Yes, you are advised to keep the required funds in your bank account until your application has been processed by the Home Office and you have received your new visa. The Home Office may want to verify that you have the correct funds available and that these are available to be used for your studies in the UK. If you are using one bank account to evidence your financial requirement and pay the visa fee and health surcharge, please ensure that there is enough money to cover everything. If paying the visa application fee or health charge results in your bank balance going below the amount of money required, your application may be refused.

  • The Home Office classes an Official Financial Sponsor as Her Majesty's Government, the student's home government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or United Kingdom independent school. If you only receive partial sponsorship, covering only some of your tuition fees and/or living costs, you must show additional evidence (for example, your personal bank statement which meets the requirement for a Student Visa) that you hold the rest of the money needed.

  • You will need to obtain a letter of confirmation from your official financial sponsor on official letter-headed paper or stationery of the organisation of the official financial sponsor; and have the official stamp of that organisation on it. The letter must show:

    • Your name
    • the name and contact details of the official financial sponsor
    • The date of the letter
    • The length of the sponsorship; and
    • The amount of money the sponsor is giving to you or a statement that your official financial sponsor will cover all of your fees and living costs.

    We have produced a sample (PDF Document) letter of sponsorship that you may find useful. This should only be used as a guide. All of the details listed above must be included in the letter.

  • If you were fully sponsored (i.e. all tuition fees and living costs) and this sponsorship ended within 12 months of your Student Visa application being made, you must obtain your sponsor's permission to stay in or re-enter the UK. You will need to get your sponsor's unconditional consent in writing. This needs to confirm that the sponsor has no objection to you continuing with your studies in the UK. If you do not get this consent, the Home Office will refuse your application.

Quick links

Example documents:

Example of an acceptable bank statement (PDF Document)

Example of an acceptable certificate of deposit (PDF Document)

Example of an acceptable bank letter (PDF Document)

Example of an acceptable parent's consent letter (PDF Document)

Example of an acceptable scholarship letter(PDF Document)

Video guide for finances

Other links

OANDA - currency converter