What is Cut the Flow?
Cut the Flow is an inter-block energy and water saving competition across the halls of residence on campus. Two prizes are awarded at the end of each term to the block that reduces their (1) energy and (2) water consumption the most.
Why should you get involved?
- Win prizes for yourself and your residence
- Learn good habits for when you have to pay your own bills
- Help the environment
Assistants and Ambassadors
We have four Cut the Flow Ambassadors.
They regularly visit accommodation to raise awareness of the initiative and how you can increase the likelihood of your block winning the next prize.
If you have any questions or concerns please speak to one of the Ambassadors next time they visit.
News and Performance
Term 1 is now complete and that means we have our first winners!
The top 3 performing accommodation blocks were:
|1. Bluebell 4||1. Sherbourne 1|
|2. Arthur Vick 1||2. Bluebell 1|
|3. Tocil 9||3. Tocil 2|
Congratulations to our winners Bluebell 4 and Sherbourne 1.
Follow our social media for updates on the prizes!
Energy Saving and Thermal Comfort Tips
- Turn off the lighting even when leaving a room for a short time.
- Turning off equipment (ovens, hobs, laptops etc.) when not in use.
- Cook and shop together.
- Set your washing machine to wash at 30 degrees Celsius.
- Only boil as much water as you need.
- If you have to buy an electrical appliance ensure it is energy efficient.
- If you get cold ensure you have appropriate clothing on before turning up the heating e.g. a jumper
- Turn your Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) off before you open a window (and ensure to keep your room well ventilated to avoid damp).
Find out more with the energy saving poster.
Water Saving Tips
- Take shorter showers.
- Snub the tub and avoid baths as they use more water than showers.
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth, shaving, or washing your face.
- Always wash your dishes in a washing up bowl or use a plug, rather than under a running tap.
- Report drips, leaks and constantly flushing toilets.
- Always use cold water if you don't need hot.
- Cold water is safe to drink from the taps - you can even refill a water bottle to reduce plastics.
Find out more with the Water Saving Poster.
Waste Saving Tips
The competition doesn't currently include waste performance but it will be included in the future so why not start now and reduce your waste production:
- Buy items with less/no packaging.
- Switch to reusable or refillable products.
- Plan your meals to reduce food waste.
- Cook meals together and share food staples.
- Donate unopened food to the Rootes Grocery Store food collection point.
- Food is commonly edible after its 'best before' date.
- Fix and upcycle your items.
Find out more with the Cut the Waste poster.