What is Cut the Flow?
Cut the Flow is an inter-block energy and water saving competition across the halls of residence on campus. Two prizes are awarded at the end of each term to the block that reduces their (1) energy and (2) water consumption the most.
Why should you get involved?
- Win prizes for yourself and your residence
- Learn good habits for when you have to pay your own bills
- Help the environment
Assistants and Ambassadors
We have four Cut the Flow Assistants.
They regularly visit accommodation to raise awareness of the initiative and how you can increase the likelihood of your block winning the next prize.
If you have any questions or concerns, please speak to one of the Assistants next time they visit.
We're still recruiting Cut the Flow Ambassadors! Being an ambassador not only allows you to learn new skills, but you can exchange those skills for points in the Warwick Skills Award. Email email@example.com to find out more about the Ambassador roles.
News and Performance
The top accommodation blocks of Term 3 2022/23 are:
Arthur Vick 1
Cryfield Village 4
Jack Martin 2
In the 2022-2023 academic year, each flat in the winning blocks were rewarded a hamper of sustainable goodies, from local shop Zero. This included vegan sweets, bamboo kitchen utensils, chocolates and eco-friendly detergents!
The 2022-23 academic year's Cut The Flow is now finished. Get ready for 2023-2024 academic year Cut The Flow performance updates, which will be published bi-weekly, by following our social media #Cuttheflow @WarwickUniSustLink opens in a new window.
Energy Saving and Thermal Comfort Tips
- Turn off the lighting even when leaving a room for a short time.
- Turning off equipment (ovens, hobs, laptops etc.) when not in use.
- Cook and shop together.
- Set your washing machine to wash at 30 degrees Celsius.
- Only boil as much water as you need.
- If you have to buy an electrical appliance ensure it is energy efficient.
- If you get cold ensure you have appropriate clothing on before turning up the heating e.g. a jumper
- Turn your Thermostatic Radiator Valve (TRV) off before you open a window (and ensure to keep your room well ventilated to avoid damp).
Find out more with the energy saving poster.
Water Saving Tips
- Take shorter showers.
- Snub the tub and avoid baths as they use more water than showers.
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth, shaving, or washing your face.
- Always wash your dishes in a washing up bowl or use a plug, rather than under a running tap.
- Report drips, leaks and constantly flushing toilets.
- Always use cold water if you don't need hot.
- Cold water is safe to drink from the taps - you can even refill a water bottle to reduce plastics.
Find out more with the Water Saving Poster.
Waste Saving Tips
The competition doesn't currently include waste performance but it will be included in the future so why not start now and reduce your waste production:
- Buy items with less/no packaging.
- Switch to reusable or refillable products.
- Plan your meals to reduce food waste.
- Cook meals together and share food staples.
- Donate unopened food to the Rootes Grocery Store food collection point.
- Food is commonly edible after its 'best before' date.
- Fix and upcycle your items.
Find out more with the Cut the Waste poster.