Chair: Mark Hinton, Foundation Fellow (Centre for Lifelong Learning)
WIE Team Link: Rachel Edwards/ Naomi Kay (and Lisa Drummond for WIHEA)
Members: Kevin Moffatt, Jerry Yu, Gavin Schwartz-Leeper, Alex Baker, Anna Tranter, Martha McGill, Nicholas Jackson, Stefania Paredes Fuentes, Paul Grigsby, Elisabeth Blagrove, Gioia Panzarella, Bo Kelestyn, Debbi Marais, Gill Frigerio, Zhiyan Guo, Parmjit Dhugga, Lewis Beer (WIHEA), Pierre Louis Botcherby (WIHEA), Celine Martin (WIHEA), Mairi Macintyre (WIHEA), Freeha Azmat (WIHEA), Lory Barile (WIHEA), Dani Pearson (WIHEA), Zeina Rihawi (WIHEA), Evelin Sanderson-Nichols (WIHEA), Richard Smith (WIHEA),
Achievements January - July 2021
The group have met twice and begun to compile a spreadsheet documenting where public engagement features in modules across the university. In time we hope this will become a valuable resource which can enable students to be better informed about where they have the options to take part in engagement as part of their degree, as well as showing staff where local expertise in this area sits.
We have also formed a sub working group who worked with the WIE team to produce materials for the APP TELink opens in a new window (a part time, practice-based programme, successful completion of which awards Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy) course running in 2021/22. These materials will introduce staff to the concept of including engagement as part of their teaching, and the enormous benefits this can have for students.
Ambitions into 2022
We intend to continue to catalogue modules featuring public engagement, and work on a process for including this in the module approval process. As we gather these examples we will also do more to examine in detail those we've already discovered, and begin to understand what we can learn from them and how it can be effectively shared.
Work is also underway to consider several alternative pedagogical approaches which might be of interest for those teaching engagement.
Finally we will be working to produce resources for the WIE Skills Festival which can support those looking to embed public engagement into their teaching.
- LC1: Staff Engagement Training
- LC2: New Skills of Engagement
- LC3: Guide to Promoting Events and Event Management
- LC4: Evaluation and Assessment of PE Projects
- LC5: Supporting Public Engagement elements of Staff Research/Teaching Funding Bids
- LC6: Student Training in Public Engagement (UG and PG)
- LC7: Developing a Pedagogy of Public Engagement
- LC8: Development of Best Practice for Talking to Different Audience Groups
- LC9: Promotion and Impact, Outreach and Engagement Review
- LC10: EUTOPIA Public Engagement Strategy Development
- LC11: Co-Producing Research and Collaborating with Communities
- LC12: Developing an Inclusive Engagement approach
- LC13: The Future of Engagement in Higher Education
- LC14: STEM Grand Challenge