Epigraphy: Online resources
Databases / Bibliographies / Corpora / Scholarship / Images
Current Epigraphy Blog
- Web-based Epigraphical Resources (ASGLE) - links to corpora, reference tools, images and inscriptions, projects, colloquia
Searchable databases of inscriptions
- Erga: (PHI/Greek Epigraphy Project)
Extensive coverage, arranged geographically - includes IG; MAMA; IK; IRT; other regional and site corpora. NB also includes some Latin inscriptions from Greek East (eg Galatia) and other areas.
- Epigraphic database for Asia MinorLink opens in a new window
- Inscriptions of Israel / PalestineLink opens in a new window
- Cyprus Inscriptions DatabaseLink opens in a new window
- CIL = Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum
photographic database; indices to CIL I² 2, 4 (Republican inscriptions); CIL XVII 4, 1 (milestones from Raetia and Noricum). Volumes of CIL can be browsed online via Arachne.
- EDB = Epigraphic Database Bari (3rd-8th c. Christian epigraphy)
- EDCS = Epigraphik Datenbank Clauss/Salby (Frankfurt)
Extensive coverage. All Latin inscriptions published in AE up until 2004; CIL; ICUR; IGRRP; ILN; a multitude of other regional corpora.
- EDH = Epigraphische Datenbank Heidelberg (Latin)
Revised & corrected versions of texts published in AE, with abbreviations expanded, fragmentary texts restored, and updated bibliographical references. New & revised texts published in the new fascicles of CIL II (Hispania) and CIL VI (Rome).
- EDR = Epigraphic Database, Rome (Latin)
- US Epigraphy Project (Latin inscriptions in USA collections)
- Bibliotheca Classica Selecta - Bibliographie d'orientation - Épigraphie:
Quelques ouvrages généraux; Épigraphie grecque; Épigraphie latine; Épigraphie chrétienne; Épigraphie et électronique; Varia
Saxa Loquuntur - Onno van Nijf - collection of resources for study of Greek (mainly) and Latin Epigraphy
ala2004 = Aphrodisias in Late Antiquity: the Late Roman and Byzantine Inscriptions, C. Roueché [2nd edition 2004, updating 1st edn 1989]
IAph 2007 = Inscriptions of Aphrodisias, J. Reynolds, C. Roueché, G. Bodard [online corpus of the inscriptions of Aphrodisias recorded up to 1994]
- IThespLink opens in a new window = Paul Roesch†, Les Inscriptions de Thespies
- Corpus des Inscriptions de Delphes, Fouilles de Delphes, Exploration archéologique de Délos, Etudes épigraphiques: all publications by the French School at Athens and Rome are available for free online at http://cefael.efa.grLink opens in a new window.
- Monumenta Asiae Minoris Antiqua XI: Monuments from Phrygia and Lykaonia.MAMA XI is a corpus of 387 inscriptions and other ancient monuments, 292 of which are unpublished, from Phrygia and Lykaonia, recorded by Sir William Calder (1881-1960) and Dr Michael Ballance (†27 July 2006) in the course of annual expeditions to Asia Minor in 1954-1957. The monuments have been edited with full commentaries, and marked-up in xml using EpiDoc electronic editorial conventions, by Peter Thonemann with the assistance of Édouard Chiricat and Charles Crowther.
- Attic Inscriptions onlineLink opens in a new window (AIO): a website designed to make available the inscriptions of ancient Athens and Attica in English translation - translations of 281 inscribed laws and decrees of Athens, 352/1-322/1 BC, recently edited by Stephen Lambert as IG II(3) 1, 292-572.
- Inschriften von PergamonLink opens in a new window
- Neue Inschriften von Olympia: open access hereLink opens in a new window
- L. Dubois, Inscriptions grecques dialectales de Sicile. Contribution à l'étude du vocabulaire grec colonial. Rome, 1989 : open access hereLink opens in a new window
- J.C. Decourt, Inscriptions grecques de la France (IGF). Lyon, 2004: open access hereLink opens in a new window
- Database of curse tablets: TheDefix (Thesaurus Defixionum)
- Alps Online - Epigraphy (University of Trento)
- Aquileia Nostra - Notiziario Epigraphica 1996, 1997, 1998
- British History Online - Royal Commission on Historical Monuments - Roman London; York (Eburacum)
- Dessau, ILS - digitized edition online at Google books
- French, D. Corpus of the Milestones of Roman Asia Minor (British Institute at Ankara).
RRMAM 3.1 - contains the Republican milestones from the province of Asia
RRMAM 3.2 - the 132 milestones from the province of Galatia.
RRMAM 3.3 Imperial: Cappadocia Milestones
RRMAM Imperial: Pontus and Bithynia Milestones
RRMAM Imperial: Asia Minor Milestones
The publications include not only the texts, concordances and other apparatus, but also schematic maps and abundant illustrations
- Korhonen, K. Le iscrizioni del Museo Civico di Catania: immagini (photos of inscriptions in Catania Museum, Sicily)
- Pallarès, J.G., Epigrafía cristiana sobre mosaico de Hispania: Tipología de una tradición
- RIB - vol. 1 in summary
- Vindolanda tablets onlineLink opens in a new window
- Curse tablets from Roman BritainLink opens in a new window
- Database of curse tablets: TheDefix (Thesaurus Defixionum)
- Interactive introduction to Greek Epigraphy (in French) from the University of Fribourg in Switzerland
- Introduction to Latin EpigraphyLink opens in a new window (in French): with translations, pictures, etc.
- Abbreviations in Latin InscriptionsLink opens in a new window (T. Elliott); see also the list of abbreviations prepared by the Universidad de Navarra hereLink opens in a new window
- CIL pamphlets:
Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum - The first part contains a short outline of the history of epigraphy and of the CIL, as well as a presentation of epigraphic method and editorial practice. The second part summarises the work which the CIL has completed to date and takes a look back and forward at the work in progress in the years 1995-2009. [In German]. Various CIL volumes can be downloaded hereLink opens in a new window as PDFs.
Reflections of Roman Life and LivingLink opens in a new window - Fourteen squeezes illustrate everyday life in the ancient world, arranged as an epigraphic tour from the city of Rome to the northern border of Roman Britain.
- Greek NumeralsLink opens in a new window (T. Elliott)
- PoinikastasLink opens in a new window: epigraphic sources for early Greek writing
- Concordance IG - SEGLink opens in a new window and IG - IG
- Claros Concordance of Greek inscriptionsLink opens in a new window (website not always functioning), last updated in 2006
- Lexicon of Greek Personal NamesLink opens in a new window: name searches
- Supplementum Epigraphicum GraecumLink opens in a new window
- ZPE articles, 1988-2000 (free); 2001-2004 (for a fee); note that ZPE is now available on JSTOR as well (1967-2008)
- Epigraphica AnatolicaLink opens in a new window: articles of volumes 35 (2002) to 42 (2009) in open access
- Facultad de Filosofia y Letras, Universidad de Navarra - sample of inscriptions
- Squeezes of Greek and Latin inscriptions from the University of Columbus Center for Epigraphical and Palaeographical Studies - OhioLink Digital Media CenterLink opens in a new window
- Squeezes from the Oxford Centre for the Study of Ancient DocumentsLink opens in a new window
- Squeezes of the University of British Columbia: from Stone to SqueezeLink opens in a new window