The HRC Visiting Fellow for 2011-12 was Patrick Keiller, currently a Visiting Research Fellow at the OU. He studied architecture at University College London and fine art in the Department of Environmental Media at the RCA. He is a director, writer, cinematographer and lecturer. His films include London (1994), Robinson in Space (1997), The Dilapidated Dwelling (2000) and Robinson in Ruins (2010).
Programme of events
- Monday 14th May 3.00 – 5.00 IAS/IATL workshop – Film in Pedagogy
- Tuesday 15th May 10.30 – 12.00 The view from the train: linearity, narrative and cinema
- 6.15 Film screening ‘Robinson In Ruins’ followed by Q&A – Arts Centre Cinema Chaired by Jackie Labbe
- Wednesday 16th May 10.30 – 12.30 Film-making as research A discussion of research method, between the previous evening’s screening and the following afternoon’s.
- 3.00 – 5.00 Introduction to ‘Robinson in Space’ Followed by screening
- 5.00 – 7.00 Millburn Seminar – A0.28, Millburn House Journeys to sites of scientific and historic interest an overview of three exploratory projects
- Thursday 17th May 10.30 – 12.30 Workshop – 'The Great Malady: the problem of dwelling': The project was prompted by a perceived discrepancy between, on one hand, the critical and cultural attention devoted to experience of mobility and displacement and, on the other, a tacit but widespread tendency to fall back on formulations of dwelling that derive from a more settled, agricultural past.