30 CREDITS, also available for 24 CREDITS
One 2-hour language class each week for 21 weeks.
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore the minimum expected amount of study is 240 hours, which averages over 10 hours per week. A substantial amount of independent study is therefore required. Students can make use of Moodle to facilitate this.
Students will be able to take part in the online exchange with the Université Clermont Auvergne, Clermont-Ferrand, France.
Course Texts (must be bought by student)
- Heu, E. & Mabilat, J-J (2015), Edito B2 - Méthode de français, Didier, ISBN: 978-2278080984
This module will strengthen reading and writing skills and will also reinforce the communicative skills acquired during previous study of the French language. Students will gain further insights into the culture and civilisation of French-speaking countries. The module will offer a more advanced study of language structure and syntax, and will concentrate on using the target language for discussing and analysing aspects of French and society.
Successful completion of French 4 qualifies students to progress to French 5.
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- apply a basic knowledge of grammar appropriate to the level
- develop strategies for locating information and understanding structure
- understand and produce the main ideas of complex text on concrete and abstract topics
- understand extended speech in a variety of contexts, and the gist of most current affairs programmes and films (including implied meaning)
- read articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems
- interact with fluency and spontaneity, and account for and sustain viewpoints
- write clear detailed text on a wide range of subjects; explain viewpoints on topical issues, giving advantages and disadvantages
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform many tasks at Level B2 Independent user (vantage) of the Common European Framework.
Activities will be centred on literary/non-literary texts and audio-visual material focusing on the following themes:
- la France et les Français
- les voyages/l'exploration
- la santé
- l'art et la culture
- le monde du travail
- la technologie et la vie quotidienne
- le monde de demain
Consolidation and focus on the following:
- revision of all tenses in the indicative
- uses of the subjunctive
- the present participle and its uses
- demonstrative pronouns
- direct and indirect object pronouns
- relative pronouns
- comparatives and superlatives
- conjunctions to improve oral skills and written style.
- Important Notes
- Speaking Examinations Information for Students
- Test/exam marks in the Language Centre
- Grammar Skills
Assessment summary and skills weighting: Assessment
Marking criteria (written): Marking criteria written (levels 3, 4, 5 European)
Marking criteria (oral): Marking criteria (oral) levels 3, 4, 5