|Email: M dot Guerriero at warwick dot ac dot uk|
|Tel.: +44(0) 24765 24770|
|Room: R3.36, Ramphal Building|
Office hours: Wednesday 10:30-11:30 and Thursday 16:30-17:30
As per departmental policy, A&F hours will be held on Microsoft Teams in Term 1. Please book an appointment at the link below:
If you are unable to make these times, please contact me by email to arrange an alternative meeting time.
Deputy Head of the School for Cross-Faculty Studies (Global Sustainable Development)
Marta joined the Global Sustainable Development team in September 2016. Prior to that, she worked as a Teaching Fellow at the Department of Economics at the University of Birmingham and as a Graduate Teaching Assistant at the Institute for Development Policy and Management (now Global Development Institute) at the University of Manchester.
In addition to her academic experience, she has several years’ experience in economic consultancy and has worked with various private sector organisations, government and international bodies, both in the UK and abroad.
Marta is an applied economist with interdisciplinary interests. Her research interests lie within the fields of development, environment and labour economics, with a particular focus on social justice, governance and policy evaluation.
She holds a PhD in Development Policy and Management from the University of Manchester (December 2013). Her PhD research contributed to the understanding of the causes of income inequality and is particularly relevant for developing countries who wish to devise adequate pro-poor policies and address concerns of social justice. Her research has received attention from various international organisations, such as the International Labour Organization, the World Bank and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.
Marta is the module convenor for:
- Economic Principles of Global Sustainable Development (GD104)
- Inequalities and Sustainable Development: Inclusion and Dignity for All (GD206, GD208 and GD211)
She also contributes specific guest sessions on other modules, including:
- Security, Sovereignty and Sustainability in the Global Food System (GD205)
- Managing Natural Resources (GD317)
During her academic career, Marta has gained a range of teaching experience. In particular, she has taught many topics relevant to sustainable development, including poverty traps and poverty alleviation, rural development, environmental wealth, governance and institutional economics, as well as statistical techniques of policy impact evaluation.
Since joining the University of Warwick, she has been nominated and longlisted for the University Awards 2017 in the category of Student Experience.
Marta is Widening Participation Co-Lead for Global Sustainable Development, taking an active role in shaping Widening Participation and Outreach initiatives for Global Sustainable Development, aimed at overcoming barriers and redressing inequalities in participation to Higher Education.
Refereed journals and book chapters
- GUERRIERO, M. (2019). The Labor Share of Income around the World: Evidence from a Panel Dataset. Chapter 3 in Fields, G. & Paul, S. (eds.) Labor Income Share in Asia: Conceptual Issues and the Drivers, Springer Singapore, Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) Series on Development Economics. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-7803-4_3
- GUERRIERO, M. (2019). Democracy and the Labor Share of Income: A Cross-Country Analysis. Chapter 6 in Fields, G. & Paul, S. (eds.) Labor Income Share in Asia: Conceptual Issues and the Drivers, Springer Singapore, Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) Series on Development Economics. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-7803-4_6
- ABEKAH-NKRUMAH, G., GUERRIERO, M. & PUROHIT, P. (2014). ICTs and Maternal Healthcare Utilization. Evidence from Ghana. International Journal of Social Economics, 41(7): 518-541. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJSE-11-2012-0218
- ZHENG, Y., GUERRIERO, M., VALENCIA LOPEZ, E. & HAVERMAN, P. (2017). Universal Basic Income: A Working Paper: A Policy Option for China beyond 2020? UNDP China Office. https://www.cn.undp.org/content/china/en/home/library/poverty/universal-basic-income--a-working-paper.html
- GUERRIERO, M. (2015). The Impact of Internet Connectivity on Economic Development in Sub-Saharan Africa, Economic and Private Sector PEAKS Helpdesk Research Report. https://r4d.dfid.gov.uk/output/200310/
GUERRIERO, M. & SEN, K. (2012). What Determines the Share of Labour in National Income? A Cross-Country Analysis. IZA Discussion Paper No. 6643, June 2012. https://ftp.iza.org/dp6643.pdf