|Email: Grace dot Kamanga at warwick dot ac dot uk|
Current PhD student
I am a postgraduate research student in the Global Sustainable Development Department, School for Cross-faculty Studies at the University of Warwick. I have been awarded a Chancellor's International Scholarship by the Doctoral College at the University of Warwick to undertake my research focusing on women empowerment through ecotourism in the developing world context. I have worked in academia for 10 years, and currently I am a senior lecturer at Mzuzu University, a public university in Malawi. My responsibilities, among others, include lecturing, research supervision, and leadership.
2021 - University of Warwick, Global Sustainable Development (postgraduate research)
2015 - 2016 Department of Tourism, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, Master of Tourism (MTour)
2007 - 2010 Department of Hospitality Management, Mzuzu University, Malawi, Bachelor of Science Hospitality Management.
- Dr Marta Guerriero, Associate Professor
- Professor Stéphanie Panichelli-Batalla
- Dr Jessica Savage, Assistant Professor
My current research focuses on women empowerment and ecotourism in the developing world context, specifically Malawi. The study relates to UN development policies specifically Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 5 (achieving gender equality and empowering all women and girls). Women empowerment is believed to be vital for achieving the social, economic, and environmental goals of sustainable development, at the same time, ecotourism is believed to be a tool for achieving the dual aims of conservation and local community development. My current study therefore investigates how women are empowered through ecotourism.
Destination management and marketing
Women empowerment and ecotourism
- Mzuzu University, Malawi, 2016 - 2021
- Blantyre International University, Malawi, 2012 - 2015
Funding and awards
- University of Warwick Doctoral College Chancellor’s International Scholarship, 2021 -2025
- World Bank through Mzuzu University Skills Development Project Scholarship to pursue a Master’s degree in tourism, University of Otago, New Zealand (2015 – 2016)
- Mzuzu University Research and Publications Committee (RPC) grant (2021)
- GSD Student-Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC) PGR representative
- GSD PhD representative at the Research Committee
- GSD PhD Student Ambassador