Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Work Placements

*If you are searching for further information about the work placement associated with the Certificate of Professional Communication, please click here.*

The School for Cross-Faculty Studies encourages students to undertake a work placement as part of their study programme. A work placement will give you the opportunity to apply your learning into practice, develop an understanding of the professional working environment, and essentially enhance your employability skills.

The school offers students the opportunity to do an intercalated year work placement which takes place in your third year. You will transfer from your three-year degree to the equivalent four-year ‘Intercalated year’ degree and this will be acknowledged on your HEAR.

  • The intercalated placement must be for a minimum of seven months;

  • The intercalated work placement year is not credit bearing, although you are required to pass by working the specified number of hours and completing a reflective diary (see right);
  • You are eligible for reduced fees for the year and can retain your 'student status' (see right), which gives you continued access to University resources (e.g. the Library) as well as your Personal Tutor and the departmental Placement Officer. You MUST therefore re-enrol at the start of your placement year;
  • Work placements in Europe may be eligible for an Erasmus+ grant, providing they take place in a participating country. These are applied for through the University (rather than by you personally). Therefore, overseas work placement arrangements are administered by the Study Abroad Team in the International Office.
  • You may be eligible to receive part of your student maintenance loan whilst you are on an intercalated placement. For further information students should contact the Student Loans Company on Tele: 0300 100 0607 or visit

  • When you return to the University, you will be required to enrol in to your final year.

See also the central University page 'Information about Placements'. You might also like to look at this Work Experience Learning and Development Moodle Course

Once you have secured a placement:

  • Inform your Personal Tutor/ Student Experience and Engagement Manager AND the departmental Placement Officer;
  • If you have secured your own placement, complete the Placement Details form and email it to your Placement Officer. This information is required in order to schedule the required meetings/consultations and maintain contact with you during your placement;
  • Check with the student loan company or other finance provider what they require from you;
  • The School Office will transfer you from your three-year degree to the equivalent four-year ‘intercalated year’ degree over the summer;
  • The Placement Officer will contact your named supervisor at the start of your placement to request confirmation of the placement;
  • The Placement Officer and your Tutor are available to provide support to you throughout the duration of your placement. Specifically, the Placement Officer will arrange two meetings with you during your placement to discuss your progress.

Interested? What do I do now?

If you are interested in an intercalated or short work placement, please visit your Placement Officer - Bodrun Nahar in the Ramphal building room R3.24 or email: Bodrun dot Nahar at warwick dot ac dot uk. You can also have an initial discussion with your Personal Tutor, who will then signpost you to the Placements Officer.


Further Information


Check the requirements for an intercalated work placement.

Fees & Funding

Fees are significantly reduced for an intercalated year: 2018/19 costs

Details of student loan advice.


You are requied to keep a reflective learning diary of your experiences in your placement year. Check details


Details of support from departmental staff , the Study Abroad Team (if appropriate) and other sources.


Bodrun Nahar - Placements Officer

Tele: : 024 76523492

Email Bodrun dot Nahar at warwick dot ac dot uk