Dr Adam Noel
Director of Student Recruitment (Engineering)
Adam Noel is an Associate Professor in the School of Engineering (Systems and Information Stream) at the University of Warwick in Coventry, UK, which he joined in 2018. He received the B.Eng. degree in Electrical Engineering in 2009 from Memorial University in St. John’s, NL, Canada. He received the M.A.Sc. degree in Electrical Engineering in 2011 and the Ph.D. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering in 2015, both from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC, Canada. In 2013, he was a Visiting Scientist at the Institute for Digital Communication at Friedrich-Alexander-University in Erlangen, Germany. He was also a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Ottawa (2016-2018).
Adam is Vice Chair of the IEEE Communication Society's Molecular, Biological and Multi-Scale Communications Techincal Committee (2022-2023) after previously serving as Secretary (2020-2021). Adam is also an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Molecular, Biological, and Multi-Scale Communications. He previously served as an Associate Editor for IEEE Communications Letters (2017-2021). He has received several awards from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Council of Canada, including a Postdoctoral Fellowship. He also received a Best Paper Award at the 2016 IEEE International Conference on Communications (one of the flagship conferences of the IEEE Communications Society).
Adam is affiliated with the University of Warwick's Information Engineering Research Group and Connected Systems Group. He is also an Associate Member of the Warwick Integrative Synthetic Biology Centre (WISB).
Other Digital Media
Academic social handles are linked above in the business card. For other stuff that doesn't quite fit on an academic homepage, Adam has a research YouTube channel, a teaching YouTube channel, and an outdated blog at ramblingacademic.com.
Molecular communication, biophysical signal propagation, cellular signal processing
Signal processing (ES3C5) and interdisciplinary group projects (ES410, ES2C6)
Full publication list is on the Publications page.
- D. Bi, A. Almpanis, A. Noel, Y. Deng, and R. Schober, A Survey of Molecular Communication in Cell Biology: Establishing a New Hierarchy for Interdisciplinary Applications, IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 1494-1545, Third Quarter 2021. (arXiv preprint)
- Y. Fang, A. Noel, A. W. Eckford, N. Yang, and J. Guo, Characterization of Cooperators in Quorum Sensing with 2D Molecular Signal Analysis, IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 799-816, Feb. 2021. (arXiv preprint)
- V. Jamali, A. Ahmadzadeh, W. Wicke, A. Noel, and R. Schober, Channel Modeling for Diffusive Molecular Communication - A Tutorial Review, Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 107, no. 7, pp. 1256-1301, Jul. 2019. (arXiv preprint)
- A. Noel, K. C. Cheung, R. Schober, D. Makrakis, and A. Hafid, Simulating with AcCoRD: Actor-Based Communication via Reaction-Diffusion, Nano Communication Networks, vol. 11, pp. 44-75, Mar. 2017. (arXiv preprint)
- A. Noel, K. C. Cheung, and R. Schober, Optimal Receiver Design for Diffusive Molecular Communication with Flow and Additive Noise, IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 350--362, Sep. 2014. (arXiv preprint)
- A. Noel, K. C. Cheung, and R. Schober, Improving Receiver Performance of Diffusive Molecular Communication with Enzymes, IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 31--43, Mar. 2014. (arXiv preprint)
External Projects and Grants
|Title||Funder||Award Start||Award End|
|EPSRC||1 May 2021||29 February 2024|