Professor Jihong Wang
Professor of Electrical Power and Control Engineering
Head of Power and Control Systems Research Laboratory
Professor Wang joined the School of Engineering at the University of Warwick in January 2011. Her previous post was in the School of Electronic, Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Birmingham, where she was professor of Control and Electrical Power and Deputy Director of the Midlands Energy Graduate School. She has also served as Lecturer and Senior Lecturer at the University of Liverpool from 1998 to 2007.
Her research interests include power system modelling and control, energy storage and grid integration, energy efficient actuators and optimal control methods. She has published over 100 journal papers and gained a number of best paper awards. Her research has led to several practical innovations, including a smart voltage controller product and a clean pneumatic UPS (uninterrupted power supply) through previous joint research projects with industry. She led the EPSRC Grand Challenge Programme in Energy Storage “Integrated Market-fit and Affordable Grid-scale Energy Storage (IMAGES)” (EP/K002228/1). Through the project, an open-source software tool has been developed for compressed air and thermal energy storage (http://estoolbox.org).
She is Co-I for Supergen Energy Storage Hub (EP/L019469/1) and Deputy Director of Supergen Energy Storage Network+ 2019 (EP/S032622/1). She is also part of the Joint UK-India Clean Energy Centre (JUICE) (EP/P003605/1).
- Power system modelling, control and monitoring, including large scale power plant modelling and control
- Energy storage and grid integration
- Energy efficient actuators and systems
Funded Projects and Grants
- Hi-CAES: High Performance Compressed Air Energy Storage Elevated through High-Temperature Thermal Storage, Funded by: EPSRC, Sept 2022- Aug. 2024
- Supergen Storage Network Plus, Funded by: EPSRC, Sept 2019 - Sept 2024
- UK-China Centre in Net-Zero Engineering Innovation, Funded by: British Council, Jan 2022- March 2024
- Joint UK-India Clean Energy Centre (JUICE), Funded by: EPSRC, Oct. 2016 - March 2022
- Grid-tied multilevel photovoltaic inverter with batteries power balancing, Funded by: EPSRC, June 2019 - March 2022
- Self-Powered Active Cooling and Cleaning for Solar PV Efficiency Improvement, Funded by: EPSRC, June 2019 - March 2022
- West Midlands Regional Energy System Operator (RESO), Funded by: Innovate UK, Jan 2020 - Jan-2022
- Liu, J.Q., Wang, J., Cardinal, J., 2022, Evolution and Reform of UK Electricity Market, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 161, 112317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2022.112317
- Ke, J., He, W., Dooner, M., Luo, X., Wang, J., 2022, Compressed air energy storage system dynamic modelling and simulation, Compressed Air Energy Storage: Types, Systems and Applications, 135, IET.
- He, W, King, M, Luo, X, Dooner, M, Li, DC, Wang, J, 2021, Technologies and economics of electric energy storages in power systems: Review and perspective, Advances in Applied Energy, Vol.4, 100060. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adapen.2021.100060.
- Evans, D., Parkes, D., Dooner, M., Williamson, P., Williams, J., Busby, J., He, W., Wang, J., Garvey, G., 2021, Salt Cavern Exergy Storage Capacity Potential of UK Massively Bedded Halites, Using Compressed Air Energy Storage (CAES), Applied Sciences, 11, 4728. https://doi.org/10.3390/app11114728.
- Li, D.C., King, M., Dooner, M., Guo, S.S., Wang, J., 2021, Study on the cleaning and cooling of solar photovoltaic panels using compressed airflow, Solar Energy, 221, 433-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2021.04.060
- Panda, K.P., Bana, P.R., Kiselychnyk, O., Wang, J., Panda, G., 2021. A Single-Source Switched-Capacitor Based Step-Up Multilevel Inverter with Reduced Components, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, (DOI:1109/TIA.2021.3068076).
- Li, D.C., Guo, S.S., He, W., King, M., Wang, J., 2021. Combined capacity and operation optimisation of lithium-ion battery energy storage working with a combined heat and power system, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, (DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2021.110731).
- King, M., Jain, A., Bhakar, R., Mathur, J., Wang, J., 2021. Overview of current Compressed Air Energy Storage projects and analysis of the potential underground storage capacity in India and the UK, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2021.110705).
- He, W., Dooner, M., King, M., Li, .C., Guo, S.S., Wang, J., 2021. Techno-economic analysis of bulk-scale compressed air energy storage in power system decarbonisation. Applied Energy, 282: 116097 5.
- Li, Y., Miao, SH, Luo, X., Yin, B, Han, J., Wang, J., 2020. Dynamic modelling and techno-economic analysis of adiabatic compressed air energy storage for emergency back-up power in supporting microgrid, Applied Energy, Vol. 261, pp. 114448
- Sun, A.Q., Wang, J.D., Chen, G.Q., Wang, J., Miao, S.H., Wang, D., Wang, Z.W., Ma, L., 2020. Study on Effects of Inlet Resistance on the Efficiency of Scroll Expander in Micro-Compressed Air Energy Storage System, Energies, 13, 4617; doi:10.3390/en13184617
- Kumar, N., Singh, B., Wang, J., Panigrahi, B.K., 2020. A Framework of L-HC and AM-MKF for Accurate Harmonic Supportive Control Schemes, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 67, No. 12, pp.5246-5256, (DOI: 10.1109/TCSI.2020.2996775).
- He, T, Wu, Z.L., Li, D.H., Wang,J., 2020. A tuning method of active disturbance rejection control for a class of high-order processes. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol 67 , Issue: 4 , pp. 3191 - 3201
- Li, D.C., Wang, J., Ding, Y.L., Yao, F., Huang, Y., 2019. Dynamic thermal management for industrial waste heat recovery based on phase change material thermal storage. Applied Energy, 236, pp. 1168-1182
- Li, Y.W., Miao, S.H., Yin, B.X., Han, J., Zhang, S.X., Wang, J., Luo, X., 2019. Combined heat and power dispatch considering advanced adiabatic compressed air energy storage for wind power accommodation, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol.200, 112091.
- Li, Y.W., Miao, S.H., Zhang, S.X., Yin, B.X., Luo, X., Dooner, M., Wang, J., 2019. A reserve capacity model of AA-CAES for power system optimal joint energy and reserve scheduling. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 104, pp. 279-290
- Dooner, M, Wang, J., 2019. Potential exergy storage capacity of salt caverns in the Cheshire basin using adiabatic compressed air energy storage. Entropy, 21 (11)
- Wang, J.G., Wang, J., Luo, X., 2019. Novel PLL for power converters under unbalanced and distorted grid conditions. The Journal of Engineering, 17, pp. 3895-3899
- Li, D.C, Hu, Y.K., Li, D.C., Wang, J., 2019. Combined-cycle gas turbine power plant integration with cascaded latent heat thermal storage for fast dynamic responses. Energy Conversion and Management, 183, pp. 1-13
- Li, Y.W., Miao, S.H., Yin, B.X., Yang, W.C., Zhang, S.X., Luo, X., Wang, J., 2019. A real-time dispatch model of CAES with considering the part-load characteristics and the power regulation uncertainty. International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, 105, pp. 179-190