Dr Leandro Pecchia
Reader of Biomedical Engineering
Director for the Applied Biomedical Signal Processing and Intelligent eHealth Lab
Leandro Pecchia graduated in Biomedical Engineering in 2005 and received the PhD in Biomedical Engineering and Management of Healthcare Services in 2009 at the University “Federico II” of Naples. Since 2013, he joined The University of Warwick, UK, where he is Reader of Biomedical Engineering. Since 2014, he directs the Applied Biomedical Signal Processing and Intelligent eHealth Lab (ABSPIE). Dr Pecchia authored more than 100 peer-reviewed papers on journals, books and conferences in the fields of Health Technology Assessment (HTA), Internet of Things and machine learning applied to active and healthy ageing and management of chronic diseases.
Dr Pecchia is President Elect of the EAMBES, Secretary General of the IUPESM, Treasurer of the IFMBE Clinical Engineering Division (CED), and former IFMBE Healthcare Technology Assessment Division (IFMBE HTAD) Chair (2015-18) and Treasurer (2012-15).
- Medical Device design, manufacturing, assessment and maintenance: Need assessment; Medical device regulatory sciences; risk assessment, clearance and certification; HTA, pricing and procurement of medical devices; Medical device maintenance.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI), machine learning and biomedical signals and data: using wearable sensors and AI methods we observe combination of biosignals reflecting both cardiovascular and nervous system statuses (e.g., HRV, ECG, GSR, temperature, physical activity etc.) and studying how their changes can be used for early detection or prediction of severe events associated to Congestive Hearth Failure (CHF), hypertension, diabetes, cancer, eye diseases, pneumonia, and mental stress..
- Health Technology Assessment (HTA): Evaluation methods for healthcare technologies (including drugs, devices, surgical techniques, medical procedures, healthcare processes); Analytic need analysis and quantification of expert knowledge; Clinical outcome assessment and systematic literature review: network meta-analysis; Risk Assessment for Falls in Elderly.
- Telemedicine: Design, development and assessment of platform for the continuity of care of patients suffering from chronic diseases; Design, development and assessment of Point of Care; HTA of Telemedicine; Stress assessment of family caregiver during Home Monitoring programs; Home Monitoring vs Disease Management Programs: the independent value of ICT to health.
The application of Systems thinking perspectives to the impact of healthcare on people, processes, information and organisations
Journal papers published in 2021
- Komarzynski Sandra, Wreglesworth Nicholas I, Griffiths Dawn , Pecchia L, Subbe Christian P., Hughes Stephen F, Davies Elin H., Innominato Pasquale F, (2021) Embracing Change: Learnings from implementing multidimensional digital remote monitoring in oncology patients at a district general hospital during the COVID-19 pandemic. JCO Clinical Cancer Informatics, 5 (2021) 216-220. View
- Castaldo R, Cavalieri C, Soricelli A, Salvatore M, Pecchia L and Franzese M (2021) Machine learning for prostate cancer diagnosis: a systematic literature review of radiomic and genomic method performance, Journal of Medical Internet Research (Accepted the 17th of January 2021)
- Castaldo R., Chappell M. J., Byrne H., Innominato P. F., Hughes S., Pescapè A., & L. Pecchia. (2021). Detection of melatonin-onset in real settings via wearable sensors and artificial intelligence. A pilot Study. Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, 65, 2021, View
Journal papers published in 2020
- Porumb, Mihaela, Iadanza, Ernesto, Massaro, Sebastiano, Pecchia, Leandro (2020) A convolutional neural network approach to detect congestive heart failure. Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, 55, View
- Porumb, Mihaela, Stranges, Saverio, Pescapà¨, Antonio, Pecchia, Leandro (2020) Precision medicine and artificial intelligence : a pilot study on deep learning for hypoglycemic events detection based on ECG. Scientific Reports, 10 (1), View
- Pecchia L, Piaggio D, Maccaro A, Formisano C, Iadanza E. (2020) The inadequacy of regulatory frameworks in time of crisis and in low-resource settings: personal protective equipment and COVID-19, Health and Technology, 2020, View
- Iadanza E, Goretti F, Sorelli M, Melillo P, Pecchia L, Simonelli F, Gerardelli M (2020), “Automatic Detection of Genetic Diseases in Pediatric Age Using Pupillometry”, IEEE Access, 8(1):34949-34961, View
- Medenou M, Ahouandjinou M.H., Piaggio D., Houessouvo R.C., Pecchia L, Jossou T.R, (2020) New intelligent network approach for monitoring physiological parameters: the case of Benin, Health and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12553-020-00418-5, View
- Marano S., Marano M., Pecchia L., Frontiers in Hemodialysis Part II: Toward Personalized and Optimized Therapy, Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, (2020), Vol. 61, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2020.102029
- Di Pietro L, Piaggio D, Oronti I, Maccaro A, Houessouvo RC , Medenou D, De Maria C, Pecchia L, Ahluwalia A. (2020) “A framework for assessing healthcare facilities in low-resource settings: field studies in Benin and Uganda”, Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering,, Vol. 40, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40846-020-00546-3
- Pirc E, Federici C, Bošnjak M, Perić B, Reberšek M, Pecchia L., et al. (2020), “Early cost-effectiveness analysis of electrochemotherapy as a prospect treatment modality for skin melanoma”, Clinical Therapeutics, Vol 42 (8), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinthera.2020.06.013
- Porumb M., Corbin G, Hatterslay J, Pecchia L. (2020) "Nocturnal Low Glucose Detection in Healthy, Elderly from one-lead ECG using Convolutional Denoising Autoencoders", Biomedical Signal Processing and Control, Vol. 56, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bspc.2020.102054
- Andellini M., Nocchi F., De Santis S., Bassanelli E.,Ritrovato M, Pecchia L. (2020) Clinical needs and technical requirements for ventilators for COVID-19 treatment critical patients: an evidence-based comparison for adult and pediatric age, Health and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12553-020-00478-7.
- Merola, G., Sciuto, A., Pirozzi, F., Andreuccetti, J., Pignata, G., Corcione, F., ... Pecchia L. & Ceccarelli, G. (2020). Is robotic right colectomy economically sustainable? a multicentre retrospective comparative study and cost analysis. Surgical Endoscopy, Vol 34 (9): 4041-4047. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-019-07193-z
Projects and Grants
- Leveraging AI based technology to transform the future of health care delivery in Leading Hospitals in Europe (ODIN), Funded by: H2020 , Smart Hosptial and AI call (H2020-DT-2020-1), Project Start Date 01-03-2021 - Project End Date 31-08-2024
- Hypoglycaemia detection via ECG and Artificial Intelligence in diabetic patients, Funded by: EPSRC IAA, Project Start Date 01-08-2020 - Project End Date 31-07-2021
Covid-19 pandemic Social and Healthcare dynamic impact in Benin, Funded by: Warwick Global Research Priority on Health and Technology, Project Start Date 01-05-2020 - Project End Date 31-12-2020
- Nocturnal Hypoglycaemia detection via ECG and Artificial Intelligence in diabetic patients, Funded by: Wellcome Trust Translational Partnership, Project Start Date 01-06-2020 - Project End Date 31-03-2022
- GATEKEEPER: Smart living homes – whole interventions demonstrator for people at health and social risks, Funded by: Horizon2020, Project Start Date 01-10-2019 - Project End Date 31-03-2023 Link
- EPSRC Cyclops Grand Challenge Workshop, Funded by: EPSRC, Project Start Date 01-05-2018 - Project End Date 31-07-2019
- Supporting the harmonisation of regulations on medical devices and medical locations among Sub-Saharan African Regions and Europe, Funded by: CGRF, Project Start Date 03-09-2018 - Project End Date 31-03-2020
- Health Technology Assessment of Medical Devices in low and middle income countries, Funded by: EPSRC IAA, Project Start Date 01-03-2017 - Project End Date 31-03-2020
- European network for innovative uses of EMFs in biomedical applications (EMF-MED) Action BM1309 Funded by: European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST), Project Start Date 15-11-2013 - Project End Date 14-11-2017
- Sleep quality, Centre-of-Pressure sway and standing hypotension to estimate the risk of falling and predict accidental falls, Funded by: Royal Society, Project Start Date 10-03-2015 - Project End Date 09-03-2016
- Secretary General (2018-2021) of the International Union for Physical and Engineering Sciences in Medicine (IUPESM)
- President Elect (2018-2021) of the European Alliance of Medical and Biological Engineering and Science (EAMBES)
- Treasurer (2018-2021) of the Clinical Engineering Division of the International Federation of Medical and Biological Society (CED IFMBE)
- Chairman (2015-2018) of the Health Technology Assessment Division of the International Federation of Medical and Biological Society (IFMBE)
- Treasurer (2012-2015) of the Health Technology Assessment Division of the International Federation of Medical and Biological Society (IFMBE)
- Chairman (2015-2018) of the Public Affair Working Group (PAWG) of the European Alliance for Medical and Biological Engineering (EAMBES)
- Councillor (2014-2016) of the European Alliance for Medical and Biological Engineering (EAMBES)