Professor Li Ran
Professor of Electrical Power
L dot Ran at warwick dot ac dot uk
+44 (0) 24 7655 1898
Li Ran obtained a PhD degree (1989) in Power Systems Engineering from Chongqing University in China for his work on reliability evaluation of the transmission networks planned for the Three-Gorge Hydro Power Plant. He then participated in the commissioning of Gezhouba-Shanghai HVDC System (1989-1990).
Between 1992 and 1999, he was a postdoctoral research fellow with the Universities of Aberdeen, Nottingham and Heriot-Watt, working on marine electrical propulsion, offshore electrical systems and electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) in power electronic motor drives. He became a Lecturer with the University of Northumbria at Newcastle in 1999 and moved to Durham University in 2003 where he was promoted to a Chair in 2010. He was seconded to Alstom Power Conversion at Kidsgrove, the UK (2001-2003) and took a sabbatical leave at MIT, USA (2007-2008). He joined the University of Warwick as a Professor in Power Electronics - Systems in 2012.
Dr Li Ran was the recipient of a Global Research Award of the Royal Academy of Engineering, Stanley-Gray Award of IMarEST and IEEE Prize Paper Awards.
Dr Li Ran is a Co-Director of the Warwick-Chongqing Joint Key Laboratory (WaCky Lab) in SiC Power Electronics, and the Student Experience Tutor of the Warwick-Chongqing 2+2 Programme in Electrical Engineering and Electronics.
Applications of power electronics in renewable energy systems, electrical power grids and machine drives.
- Book: Tavner P, Ran L and Crabtree C, Condition Monitoring of Rotating Electrical Machines, 3rd Edition, IET Press, 2020
- Shao W, Wu R, Ran L, Jiang H, Mawby P, Rogers D, Green T, Coombs T, Yardley K, Kastha D and Bajpai P and Zhou L, A Power Module for Grid Inverter with in-built Short-Circuit Current Capability, IEEE Trans on Power Electronics, Vol. 35, No. 10, 2020, pp10567-10579
- Bashar E, Rogers D, Wu R, Ran L, Jennings M, Green T and Mawby P, A New Protection Scheme for an SSSC in an MW Network by Using a Varistor and Thyristors, IEEE Trans on Power Delivery, 2020, pp102-113
- Mohammed A, Hu B, Hu Z, Djurovic S, Ran L, Barnes M and Mawby P, Distributed Thermal Monitoring of Wind Turbine Power Electronic Modules Using FBG Sensing Technology, IEEE Sensors Journal, 2020, Vol. 20, No. 17, pp9886-9894
- Jiang H, Zhong X, Qiu G, Tang L, Qi X and Ran L, Dynamic Gate Stress Induced Threshold Voltage Drift of Silicon Carbide MOSFET, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 2020, Vol. 41, No. 9, pp1284-1287
- Hu B, Konaklieva S, Kourra N, Williams M, Ran L and Lai W, Long Term Reliability Evaluation of Power Modules with Low Amplitude Thermomechanical Stresses and Initial Defects, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 1, 2021, pp602-615
- Hu B., Hu Z., Ran L., Ng C., Jia C., McKeever P., Tavner P., Zhang C., Jiang H. and Mawby P., Heat-Flux Based Condition Monitoring of Multi-chip Power Modules Using a Two-Stage Neural Network, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 36, No. 7, 2021, pp7489-7500
- Ren H., Shao W., Ran L., Hao G., Zhou L., Mawby P. and Jiang H., A Phase Change Material Integrated Press Pack Power Module with Enhanced Overcurrent Capability for Grid Support – a Study on FRD, IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 57, No. 4, 2021, pp3956-3968
- Jiang H., Wei J., Fang X., Ren H., Shao W, and Ran L., A delta_Tj Reduced Power Module with In-built Phase Change Materials for Reliability Enhancement, IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 68, No. 9, 2021, pp4557-4564
- Zhong X, Jiang H, Qiu G, Tang L, Mao H, Xu C, Jiang X, Hu J, Qi X and Ran L, Bias Temperature Instability of Silicon Carbide Power MOSFET under AC Gate Stresses, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, 2021
- Ren H, Ran L, Liu X, Liu L, Djurovic S, Jiang H, Barnes M and Mawby P, Quasi-distributed Temperature Detection of Press Pack IGBT Power Module Using FBG Sensing, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, 2021
- Qiu G, Ran L, Feng H, Jiang H, Long T, Forsyth A, Shao W and Hou X, A Flux Gate-based Current Sensor for DC Bias Elimination in a Dual Active Bridge Converter, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, 2021
Projects and Grants
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|FutureBEV||Innovate UK||01 Aug 2020||31 Jan 2024|
|Development of an IGBT Power Module with High Short-term Thermal Capacity||Zhuzhou CRRC Times Electric UK Innovation Centre||01 Feb 2021||31 Jan 2023|
|Novel Condition Monitoring and Health Management Technologies for High Voltage SiC Power Modules.||EPSRC||01 Oct 2017||30 Sep 2021|
|Enhancing Control Capability of ORE Systems for Stress Management and Grid Support||EPSRC||01 Mar 2020||20 May 2021|
|IGBT heat flux health monitoring method for wind turbine power convertors||Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult||03 Apr 2018||02 Apr 2021|
|Catapult Researchers in Residence Programme||EPSRC||30 Nov 2017||30 Sep 2020|
|Collaboration Agreement: Underpinning Power Electronics||EPSRC||01 Jul 2013||30 Jun 2019|
|UK-India Reconfigurable Distribution Networks - collaboration agreement for EPSRC grant led by Imperial (3-way: also includes Cardiff) EP/K036327/1||EPSRC||01 Jan 2014||31 Dec 2017|
|Underpinning Power Electronics - Components Theme||EPSRC||01 Jul 2013||31 Oct 2017|
|Leverhulme Visiting Professor||Leverhulme Trust||01 Jan 2016||31 Jul 2017|
|Challenges in High Temperature, High Reliability and High Power Density Press Pack SiC||EPSRC||01 Jan 2015||30 Jun 2017|
|Strengthening Grid for Rural Renewable Power ? A Power Electronics Solution - GCRF Institutional award||EPSRC||01 Jun 2016||31 Mar 2017|
|Collaboration Agreement - Low Carbon Networks Fund bid||Western Power Distribution||01 May 2013||31 Dec 2016|
|Condition monitoring techniques for power electronic offshore renewable applications: KTP with Narec||Narec Development Services Limited||01 Jul 2013||30 Jun 2015|
|The requirements, capabilities and costs for a Low Frequency AC transmission technology to allow for both research and training requirements to take place||SP Power Systems Limited||01 Feb 2014||18 Mar 2015|
|KTP project - with NAREC||Technology Strategy Board||01 Mar 2013||28 Feb 2015|
|Royal Academy of Engineering Distinguished Visiting Fellowship: Design and Operation of Future Electrical Power Systems||Royal Academy of Engineering||12 Sep 2012||11 Oct 2012|