Professor Li Ran
Professor of Power Electronics - Systems
L dot Ran at warwick dot ac dot uk
+44 (0) 24 7655 1898; 07596720923 (m)
Li Ran obtained a PhD degree (1989) in Power Systems Engineering from Chongqing University in China for his work on reliability evaluation of the transmission networks planned for the Three-Gorge Hydro Power Plant. He then participated in the commissioning of Gezhouba-Shanghai HVDC System (1989-1990).
Between 1992 and 1999, he was a postdoctoral research fellow with the Universities of Aberdeen, Nottingham and Heriot-Watt (Edinburgh), working on marine electrical propulsion, offshore electrical systems and electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) in power electronic motor drives. He became a Lecturer with the University of Northumbria at Newcastle in 1999 and moved to Durham University in 2003 where he was gradually promoted to a Chair in 2010. He joined the University of Warwick as a Professor of Power Electronics - Systems in 2012. His work at Northumbria, Durham and Warwick has centred around power conversion and control for renewable generation, and reliability of power semiconductors. He was seconded to Alstom Power Conversion at Kidsgrove, the UK (2001-2003) and took a sabbatical leave at MIT, the USA (2007-2008).
Dr Li Ran was the recipient of a Global Research Award of the Royal Academy of Engineering, Stanley-Gray Award of IMarEST and IEEE Prize Paper Awards.
Dr Li Ran was a professor and is an adjunct professor with Chongqing University. He is a Co-Director of the Warwick-Chongqing Joint Key Laboratory (WaCky Lab) in SiC Power Electronics, and the Student Experience Tutor of the Warwick-Chongqing 2+2 Programme in Electrical Engineering and Electronics.
Li Ran is a slow, but passionate, 5 km Parkrun participant (home | parkrun UK).
Application of power electronics for electrical power generation, delivery and utilisation;
Power semiconductors and packaging.
Electric Circuit Theory, Analogue Electronics, Instrumentation Systems, Electromagnetic Compatibility, Control Theory, Electric Machines and Drives, Electrical Power Systems, Power Electronic Systems, Renewable Power Generation, and Embedded Generation.
Students are welcome to contact Professor Li Ran to discuss study in these subject areas.
Selected Recent Publications
- Tavner P, Ran L and Crabtree C, Condition Monitoring of Rotating Electrical Machines, 3rd Edition, IET Press, 2020
Papers in Journals of Learned Societies
- Tang L, Jiang H, Zhong X, Qiu G, Mao H, Jiang X, Qi X, Du C, Peng Q, Liu L and Ran L, Investigation into the Third Quadrant Characteristics of Silicon Carbide MOSFET, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, 2023 (IEEE Xplore early access)
- Mao H, Hu J, Jiang H, Ran L, Qiu G, Wei J, Chen H, Zhong X, Xiao L, Wang L and Wu Y, An Asymmetrical Power Module Design for Modular Multilevel Converter with Unidirectional Power Flow, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, 2023 (IEEE Xplore early access)
- Wei JX, Feng H and Ran L, Integrated Design for Lifetime Extension and ESR Monitoring of Hybrid DC-Link in Solid-State Transformer from the Perspective of High-Frequency Ripple Current, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 12, 2022, pp15583-15593
- Ren H, Liu L, Djurovic S, Ran L, Liu X, Feng H and Mawby P, In-situ Contact Pressure Monitoring of Press Pack Power Module Using FBG Sensors, IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 71, No. 7, 2022, pp1-11 (7006211)
- Qiu G, Ran L, Feng H, Jiang H, Mao H and Wei J, A High-precision Sensor Based on AC Flux Cancellation for DC Bias Detection in Dual Active Bridge Converters, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 11, 2022, pp13513-13524
- Jiang X, Jiang H, Zhong X, Mao H, Wu Z and Ran L, Impact of Gate Resistance on Improving the Dynamic Overcurrent Stress of the Si/SiC Hybrid Switch, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 11, 2022, pp13319-13331
- Shillaber L, Jiang Y, Ran L and Long T, Ultra Fast Current Shunt (UFCS): A Gigahertz Bandwidth Ultra Low Inductance Current Sensor, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 12, 2022, pp15493-15504
- Zhong X, Jiang H, Tang L, Qi X, Jiang P and Ran L, Gate Stress Polarity Dependence of AC Bias Temperature Instability in Silicon Carbide MOSFETS, IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 69, No. 6, 2022, pp3328-3333
- Jiang H, Qi X, Qiu G, Zhong X, Tang L, Mao H, Wu Z, Chen H and Ran L, A Physical Explanation of Threshold Voltage Drift of SiC MOSFET Induced by Gate Switching, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 8, 2022, pp8830-8834
- Hu Z, Hu B, Ran L, Tavner P, Kong H, Mawby P and Wu R, Monitoring Power Module Solder Degradation from Heat Dissipation in Two Opposite Directions, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 8, 2022, pp9754-9766
- Wu Z, Jiang H, Zheng Z, Qi X, Liu L and Ran L, Dynamic dv/dt Control Strategy of SiC MOSFET for Switching Loss Reduction in the Operational Power Range, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 6, 2022, pp6237-6241
- Mao H, Qiu G, Jiang H, Zhong X, Tang L and Ran L, Investigation on the Degradations of Parallel Connected 4H-SiC MOSFETs under Repetitive UIS Stresses, IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 69, No. 2, 2022, pp650-657
- Yang J, Che Y, Ran L, Du M, Jiang H and Hu B, Monitoring Initial Solder Layer Degradation in a Multichip IGBT Module via Combined TSEPs, IEEE Trans. on Device and Materials Reliability, Vol. 22, No. 1, 2022, pp26-35
- Ren H, Ran L, Liu X, Liu L, Djurovic S, Jiang H, Barnes M and Mawby P, Quasi-distributed Temperature Detection of Press Pack IGBT Power Module Using FBG Sensing, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 5, 2022, pp4981-4992
- Qiu G, Ran L, Feng H, Jiang H, Long T, Forsyth A, Shao W and Hou X, A Flux Gate-based Current Sensor for DC Bias Elimination in a Dual Active Bridge Converter, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 3, 2022, pp3233-3246
- Zhong X, Jiang H, Qiu G, Tang L, Mao H, Xu C, Jiang X, Hu J, Qi X and Ran L, Bias Temperature Instability of Silicon Carbide Power MOSFET under AC Gate Stresses, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 2, 2022, pp1998-2008
- Hu B, Konaklieva S, Kourra N, Williams M, Ran L and Lai W, Long Term Reliability Evaluation of Power Modules with Low Amplitude Thermomechanical Stresses and Initial Defects, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 1, 2021, pp602-615
- Hu B, Hu Z, Ran L, Ng C, Jia C, McKeever P, Tavner P, Zhang C, Jiang H and Mawby P, Heat-Flux Based Condition Monitoring of Multi-chip Power Modules Using a Two-Stage Neural Network, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, Vol. 36, No. 7, 2021, pp7489-7500
- Ren H, Shao W, Ran L, Hao G, Zhou L, Mawby P and Jiang H, A Phase Change Material Integrated Press Pack Power Module with Enhanced Overcurrent Capability for Grid Support – a Study on FRD, IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 57, No. 4, 2021, pp3956-3968
- Jiang H, Wei J, Fang X, Ren H, Shao W, and Ran L, A delta_Tj Reduced Power Module with In-built Phase Change Materials for Reliability Enhancement, IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 68, No. 9, 2021, pp4557-4564
- Shao W, Wu R, Ran L, Jiang H, Mawby P, Rogers D, Green T, Coombs T, Yardley K, Kastha D and Bajpai P and Zhou L, A Power Module for Grid Inverter with in-built Short-Circuit Current Capability, IEEE Trans on Power Electronics, Vol. 35, No. 10, 2020, pp10567-10579
- Bashar E, Rogers D, Wu R, Ran L, Jennings M, Green T and Mawby P, A New Protection Scheme for an SSSC in an MV Network by Using a Varistor and Thyristors, IEEE Trans on Power Delivery, 2020, pp102-113
- Mohammed A, Hu B, Hu Z, Djurovic S, Ran L, Barnes M and Mawby P, Distributed Thermal Monitoring of Wind Turbine Power Electronic Modules Using FBG Sensing Technology, IEEE Sensors Journal, 2020, Vol. 20, No. 17, pp9886-9894
- Jiang H, Zhong X, Qiu G, Tang L, Qi X and Ran L, Dynamic Gate Stress Induced Threshold Voltage Drift of Silicon Carbide MOSFET, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 2020, Vol. 41, No. 9, pp1284-1287
Projects and Grants
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Packaging Design and Optimization of A New High-Voltage SiC Power Module||The Royal Society and NNSF China||31 Mar 2022||30 Mar 2024|
|Powertrain Research Hub||Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult||01 Oct 2021||30 Sep 2024|
|PE2M: Power Electronics Modules by Rapid Moulding||Innovate UK||01 Jan 2022||30 Dec 2023|
|FutureBEV||Innovate UK||01 Aug 2020||31 Jan 2024|
|Development of an IGBT Power Module with High Short-term Thermal Capacity||Zhuzhou CRRC Times Electric UK Innovation Centre||01 Feb 2021||31 Jan 2023|
|Novel Condition Monitoring and Health Management Technologies for High Voltage SiC Power Modules.||EPSRC||01 Oct 2017||30 Sep 2021|
|Enhancing Control Capability of ORE Systems for Stress Management and Grid Support||EPSRC||01 Mar 2020||20 May 2021|
|IGBT heat flux health monitoring method for wind turbine power convertors||Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult||03 Apr 2018||02 Apr 2021|
|Catapult Researchers in Residence Programme||EPSRC||30 Nov 2017||30 Sep 2020|
|Holistic Operation and Maintenance for Energy from Offshore Wind Farms (HOME-Offshore)||EPSRC||30 Mar 2017||1 Oct 2020|
|Collaboration Agreement: Underpinning Power Electronics||EPSRC||01 Jul 2013||30 Jun 2019|
|UK-India Reconfigurable Distribution Networks - collaboration agreement for EPSRC grant led by Imperial (3-way: also includes Cardiff) EP/K036327/1||EPSRC||01 Jan 2014||31 Dec 2017|
|Underpinning Power Electronics - Components Theme||EPSRC||01 Jul 2013||31 Oct 2017|
|Leverhulme Visiting Professor||Leverhulme Trust||01 Jan 2016||31 Jul 2017|
|Challenges in High Temperature, High Reliability and High Power Density Press Pack SiC||EPSRC||01 Jan 2015||30 Jun 2017|
|Strengthening Grid for Rural Renewable Power ? A Power Electronics Solution - GCRF Institutional award||EPSRC||01 Jun 2016||31 Mar 2017|
|Collaboration Agreement - Low Carbon Networks Fund bid||Western Power Distribution||01 May 2013||31 Dec 2016|
|Condition monitoring techniques for power electronic offshore renewable applications: KTP with Narec||Narec Development Services Limited||01 Jul 2013||30 Jun 2015|
|The requirements, capabilities and costs for a Low Frequency AC transmission technology to allow for both research and training requirements to take place||SP Power Systems Limited||01 Feb 2014||18 Mar 2015|
|KTP project - with NAREC||Technology Strategy Board||01 Mar 2013||28 Feb 2015|
|Royal Academy of Engineering Distinguished Visiting Fellowship: Design and Operation of Future Electrical Power Systems||Royal Academy of Engineering||12 Sep 2012||11 Oct 2012|