Visting Research Students
We welcome applications for visiting postgraduate research student places. However, it is strongly suggested that you contact the academic whom you wish to work with to discuss your needs before you apply as a visiting student
Important information before you apply:
Before you apply as a visiting research student it is important that you have sought approval from your current academic supervisor from your current institution. You will also to have been in communication with a named member of staff in the School of Engineering to agree the date, duration and the purpose of your visit.
We do not accept speculative applications for Visiting Research Students.
To enrol as a Visiting Research Student you need to submit an application for admission and obtain an unconditional offer.
NOTE: Please note that each department has a quota for visiting students and cannot exceed this number without express permission from the Chair of the Board of Graduate Studies.
- Official student status letter from your current institution, this should contain evidence of the qualification that are currently pursuing and the start and end date of that registration.
- Personal statement that explains the purpose of your visit the School of Engineering, include the start and end date of your proposed visit as well as the name of the person that you are requesting to visit/work with.
- Proof of English language capability:
It is a requirement that overseas students will show that their ability to understand and express themselves in both written and spoken English is sufficiently high for them to derive the full benefit from their time at Warwick. You will need to submit an English Language test certificate - acceptable English tests. Please note that the requirement for admission is IELTS 6.5 (with no component below 6.0) or equivalent. More information.
- A letter from your current academic supervisor or Head of Department at your home institution confirming that you are a current student at their University and detailing a reference / letter of support for your period of study at the University of Warwick.
- ATAS: If you are from outside the EU you may require ATAS clearance. Full instructions about this process and how to apply will be sent to you after an offer for admission is made. Please do not attempt to do this before you have recieved instructions from the University as an incorrect application will invalidate your ATAS certificate.
Complete the standard online application form (www.warwick.ac.uk/pgapply).
- Application Form Course Details:
Department: School of Engineering
Course Type: Research
Course: Visiting Research Student Engineering
Please note that as a Visiting Student, you will normally be liable for tuition fees as follows:
- If you are visiting for a period of 10 weeks or less, no fee will be charged*
- If you are visiting for a period of greater than 10 weeks (and up to 12 months), a fee of 50% of the full fee, pro rata for the period of your visit, will be charged.
*Provided that the total time an individual can attend over more than one academic year without a fee should not exceed 16 weeks.
More information on fees and funding.
NOTE: No bench fees are charged.
The University of Warwick can sometimes offer on-campus accommodation, availability is limited and cannot be guaranteed. You need to organise accommodation yourself after you have received an offer letter for admission, please contact our Accommodation Office Team for further advice.
If you would like information on the appropriate visa to study at the University as a Visiting Student, please contact the International Office for immigration advice.
NOTE: If your visit to the UK is for more than 6 months to do research, which will count towards a postgraduate qualification in another country, then you will require an ATAS Certificate. The University will send you full instructions of how to do this when your admission has been approved.
- Contact the School of Engineering Team.
- Application Enquiries contact the Postgraduate Admissions Team.
- Book your visit to the School or join us on our virtual open day.
- Sign up to receive more information about Warwick.
- Telephone: +44 (0) 24 7652 2046 or +44 (0) 24 7652 4826
School of Engineering
University of Warwick
You need to:
- Already be fully enrolled as a PhD student at your home institution.
- Have the support of your home institution to visit Warwick.
- Have the support of a Warwick academic to permit your visit.
- Be able to meet the terms and conditions of an unconditional offer from Warwick before you arrive.
Location of study
School of Engineering, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL, United Kingdom