- Medical device design and medical location assessment
Medical device design for low-resource settings (LRSs)
Rugged design – military standards
User-driven and contextualised design
Delphi study and Multicriteria decision analysis
Validation and Benchmarking
Designs related to: Pupillometry, Postpartum haemorrhage, Neonatal Jaundice, Diabetic Neuropathies
- Standards and regulations
Universality of the international standards and norms relating to medical devices and locations
PPE and medical devices for COVID-19
Preparedness and perspectives on COVID-19 in LRSs (Benin)
- Assistant Professor at the U. of Warwick, UK, 2022-Present
- Research Fellow at the U. of Warwick, UK, 2021-2022
- Teaching Fellow at the U. of Warwick, UK, 2021
- PhD Student in Biomedical Engineering at the U. of Warwick, UK, 2018-Current
- Member of Applied Biomedical Signal Processing and Intelligent eHealth Lab at University of Warwick, Coventry, UK, 2016-Current
- Associate Editor, Health and Technology journal, 2020-Current
- Reviewer, Health and Technology journal, 2018-Current
- IFMBE HTAD collaborator, 2018-Current
- Assistant lecturer and tutor Lab demonstrator for ES2C1, ES97F, ES195 and ES191 at the U. of Warwick, 2018-2020
- Member of the Symposium organising committee, U. of Warwick, 2018-2020
Born in Imperia, Davide received his BSc and MSc in Biomedical engineering at the University of Genoa and at the Polytechnic University of Turin, respectively. He is currently a PhD student and research assistant at the University of Warwick, where he has been an associate of the Applied Biomedical Signal Processing and Intelligent eHealth Lab since 2016. His main areas of expertise are medical device design, CAD design, 3D printing, signal processing and App design (Android). He has authored or co-authored about 19 journal/conference papers and book chapters. He also contributed with writing the definitions of 10 lemmas for the Encyclopaedia of Medical Physics (ISBN 9781138592148).
Scholarships and Awards
(the updated list of publications can be seen on Google Scholar link)
Maccaro A, Piaggio D, Dodaro CA, Pecchia L. Biomedical engineering and ethics: reflections on medical devices and PPE during the first wave of COVID-19. BMC Medical Ethics. 2021 Dec;22(1):1-7.
- Williams, E., Piaggio, D., Andellini, M., Pecchia, L. (2022) 3D-printed activated charcoal inlet filters for oxygen concentrators: a circular economy approach. Development Engineering 7 (2022) 100094. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.deveng.2022.100094
- Piaggio D, Castaldo R, Cinelli M, Cinelli S, Maccaro A, Pecchia L. A framework for designing medical devices resilient to low-resource settings. Globalization and Health. 2021 Dec;17(1):1-3.
- Piaggio D, Namm G, Melillo P, Simonelli F, Iadanza E, Pecchia L. Pupillometry via smartphone for low-resource settings. Biocybernetics and Biomedical Engineering. 2021 Jun 8.
- Piaggio D, Andellini M, Taher M, Pecchia L. A vest for treating jaundice in low-resource settings. In2021 IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Industry 4.0 & IoT (MetroInd4. 0&IoT) 2021 Jun 7 (pp. 122-127). IEEE.
- Maccaro A, Piaggio D, Pagliara S, Pecchia L. The role of ethics in science: a systematic literature review from the first wave of COVID-19. Health and technology. 2021 Jun 3:1-9.
- Jossou TR, Aziz ET, Medenou D, Bybi A, Fagbemi L, Sbihi M, Piaggio D. Methods to distinguish labour and pregnancy contractions: a systematic literature review. Health and Technology. 2021 May 13:1-3.
- Jossou TR, Et-tahir A, Tahori Z, El Ouadi A, Medenou D, Bybi A, Fagbemi L, Sbihi M, Piaggio D. Electrodes in external electrohysterography: a systematic literature review. Biophysical Reviews. 2021 May 9:1-1.
- Maccaro A, Piaggio D, Dodaro CA, Pecchia L. Mental illness in some Sub Saharan African communities: the perspective of Bioethics and transcultural nursing. Medicina e Morale. 2020 Dec 29;69(4):493-502.
- Piaggio D, Taher M, Marinozzi F, Bini F, Pecchia L. A MATLAB App to Assess, Compare and Validate New Methods Against Their Benchmarks. InEuropean Medical and Biological Engineering Conference 2020 Nov 29 (pp. 10-21). Springer, Cham.
- Pecchia L, Piaggio D, Maccaro A, Formisano C, Iadanza E. The Inadequacy of Regulatory Frameworks in Time of Crisis and in Low-Resource Settings: Personal Protective Equipment and COVID-19. Health and Technology. 2020 May 2:1.
- Medenou D, Ahouandjinou MH, Piaggio D, Houessouvo RC, Pecchia L, Jossou TR. New intelligent network approach for monitoring physiological parameters: the case of Benin. Health and Technology.:1-2.
- Pecchia L, Piaggio D. Evidence generation in medicine. InClinical Engineering Handbook 2020 Jan 1 (pp. 818-820). Academic Press.
- Pecchia L, Piaggio D, Pallikarakis N, Iadanza E. Health technology assessment teaching for BME. InClinical Engineering Handbook 2020 Jan 1 (pp. 832-835). Academic Press.
- Piaggio D, Bracale U, Pecchia L, Di Taranto MD, Sodo M, Bracale UM. Endovascular treatment versus medical therapy for hypertensive patients with renal artery stenosis: an updated systematic review. Annals of vascular surgery. 2019 Nov 1;61:445-54.
- Piaggio D, Medenou D, Houessouvo RC, Pecchia L. Donation of medical devices in low-income countries: preliminary results from field studies. InInternational Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering 2019 May 16 (pp. 423-427). Springer, Cham.
- Medenou D, Fagbemi LA, Houessouvo RC, Jossou TR, Ahouandjinou MH, Piaggio D, Kinnouezan CD, Monteiro GA, Idrissou MA, Iadanza E, Pecchia L. Medical devices in sub-Saharan Africa: optimal assistance via a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) in Benin. Health and Technology. 2019 May 19;9(3):219-32.
- Bracale U, Melillo P, Piaggio D, Pecchia L, Cuccurullo D, Milone M, De Palma GD, Cavallaro G, Campanelli G, Merola G, Stabilini C. Is Shouldice the best NON-MESH inguinal hernia repair technique? A systematic review and network metanalysis of randomized controlled trials comparing Shouldice and Desarda. International Journal of Surgery. 2019 Feb 1;62:12-21.
Oral presentations and posters