Civil Engineering Degree Leader | Director of Student Recruitment
I am responsible for providing academic leadership in delivering national and international excellence in undergraduate and postgraduate taught courses in Civil Engineering within a unified School of Engineering, contributing to the student experience and providing leadership in curriculum development, administration, liaison with industry, coordination and development of new courses. I am the Lead on discipline quality assurance and enhancement processes relating to all delivery modes and locations. I am the Lead on professional institution accreditation events and internal/external audits, managing the application of quality processes and developing new processes for the Civil Engineering discipline. I am holding responsibility for teaching, learning, and assessment across two postgraduate taught courses (MSc Tunnelling and Underground Space; MSc Humanitarian Engineering and variants) and three undergraduate courses (BEng Civil Engineering, MEng Civil Engineering and BEng Civil and Infrastructure Engineering Degree Apprenticeship), ensuring quality, progression, student satisfaction and recruitment. I am leading academic changes, including introduction of undergraduate and postgraduate periodic review, restructure and internationalisation of the curriculum. I work in support of developing and enhancing the School’s reputation, both internal and external to the University.
Since November 2017 and in parallel to the above, I am the Director of Student Recruitment for the School of Engineering, providing oversight and leadership to the wider Admissions Team (incl. Admissions Officer, Admissions and Widening Participation Manager and Marketing Executive Officer). My responsibilities in that role include strategic leadership to planning and review of admissions activity in the School, analysis and strategy development related to general School marketing, representation at admissions-related events/workshops, management oversight of the operational organisation of open days/offer holder days, meetings with parents and prospective students.
Teaching and research interests
My teaching and research interests are oriented but not limited to:
Interdisciplinary teaching and learning; Problem-based learning; Learning tools in resource-constrained environments
Earthquake engineering; Concrete structures; Precast concrete structures; Structural dynamics, Non-linear finite element methods; Static and dynamic analysis of structures with the Finite Element Method
Research grants and contracts
- European Commission Erasmus + KA2 – Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices – Capacity Building in the field of Higher Education grant: "ENHANCE - ENabling Humanitarian Attributes for Nurturing Community-based Engineering". Value: 998,705.00 € (PI)
- Royal Academy of Engineering – Higher Education Partnership in sub-Saharan Africa (HEPSSA) grant: "Enriching Engineering Education in Southern sub-Saharan Africa". Value: £140,000 (PI UK)
- Higher Education Funding Council of England (HEFCE) grant: "Developing a student-driven educational model between, beyond and across disciplines". Value: £99,490 (PI)
- Royal Academy of Engineering – Higher Education Partnership in sub-Saharan Africa (HEPSSA) grant: "Building stronger and innovative Higher Learning Institutions in sub-Saharan Africa through improved partnerships". Value: £70,000 (PI UK)
- Warwick Institute for Advanced Teaching and Learning grant: "Warwick Humanitarian Engineering Centre; Creating shared value". Value: £37,745 (PI)
- Royal Academy of Engineering – Call: Research projects in engineering education grant: "Assessment of Degree Apprenticeships Teaching and Learning". Value: £27,500 (Co-I)
- Warwick Institute for Advanced Teaching and Learning grant: "Paving the way towards a Warwick Humanitarian Engineering Centre". Value: £15,900 (PI)
- Warwick International Higher Education Academy (WIHEA) grant: "Learner to Professional: Improving Engagement with the Journey for Students and Staff". Value: £4,900 (Co-I)
- International Network of Women Engineers and Scientists contract: "Organisation, Host and Delivery of the 18th International Conference of Women Engineers and Scientists Conference (ICWES18) in 2020". Value: £354,750 (Academic Lead and Conference Chair)
Leadership Roles on National/International Level
- 01/2016 – Present Athena SWAN Chair and Panellist, Equality Challenge Unit (ECU), Advance HE
- 10/2017 – Present Elected Board Director, Board of Directors, International Network of Women Engineers and Scientists (INWES)
- 10/2018 - Present Elected Council Member, Council, Women's Engineering Society UK (WES UK)
- 01/2016 – 09/2018 Elected Trustee, Board of Trustees, Women’s Engineering Society UK (WES UK)
Director of Education, Women’s Engineering Society UK (WES UK)
Leadership Roles within the Department, Discipline, and University
- 11/2017 – Present Director of Student Recruitment, School of Engineering, University of Warwick.
- 11/2017 – Present Chair of Student Recruitment and Admissions Committee (SRAC), School of Engineering.
- 09/2017 – Present Academic Lead, Civil Engineering Degree Apprenticeship, School of Engineering.
- 06/2017 – Present Director MSc Humanitarian Engineering, School of Engineering.
- 01/2016 – 06/2016 Director MSc Tunnelling and Underground Space, School of Engineering.
- 01/2016 – Present Academic Lead Environmental Sustainability, Sustainable Cities Global Research Priority, University of Warwick.
- 04/2015 – Present Civil Engineering Degree Leader, School of Engineering, University of Warwick.
School of Engineering
University of Warwick
CV4 7AL, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 24 76 522106
Fax: +44 (0) 24 76 418922