Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Eligibility for studentship funding

From the 2021/22 academic year UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) funding is open to both UK and International research students. NERC Awards for both Home students and International students cover Home level tuition fees and provide a stipend at the standard UKRI rate to support living costs. International students (including EU) should note that NERC (UKRI) will not fund the difference in Home level tuition fee and International level tuition fee. This part of the tuition fee will be covered by University of Warwick funding for successful candidates. Successful International candidates would need to cover all other costs themselves including Health Surcharge, visa and flights.

Tuition Fee status for EU, EEA and Swiss nationals

The University carries out an initial fee status assessment based on information provided in the application and according to the guidance published by UKCISA. Students are classified as either Home or Overseas Fee status and this can determine the tuition fee and eligibility of certain scholarships and financial support.

If you receive an offer, your fee status will be stated with the tuition fee information. If you believe your fee status has been incorrectly classified you can complete a fee status assessment questionnaire (follow the instructions in your offer) and provide the required documentation for this to be reassessed.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) provides guidance to UK universities on fees status criteria, you can find the latest guidance on the impact of Brexit on fees and student support on the UKCISA website.

Eligibility criteria

Academic requirements:

  • Those who have a 1st or a 2.1 undergraduate degree in a relevant field are eligible.
  • Those who have a 2.2 and an additional Master's degree in a relevant field may be eligible.
  • Those who have a 2.2 and at least three years post-graduate experience in a relevant field may be eligible.
  • Those with degrees abroad (perhaps as well as postgraduate experience) may be eligible if their qualifications are deemed equivalent to any of the above

Home students 

To be classed as a Home student for funding purposes, candidates must meet the following criteria:

  • Be a UK National (meeting residency requirements), or
  • Have settled status, or
  • Have pre-settled status (meeting residency requirement) or,
  • Have indefinite leave to remain or enter

UK National
The UK includes the United Kingdom and Islands (i.e. the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man).
In terms of residency requirements for UK nationals, for courses starting from 1 August 2021, candidates will continue to be eligible for home fee status as long as:

  • They were living in the EEA or Switzerland on 31 December 2020, and have lived in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Gibraltar for at least the last 3 years before starting a course in the UK
  • Have lived continuously in the EEA, Switzerland, the UK or Gibraltar between 31 December 2020 and the start of the course

Children of UK nationals will also be eligible for support on the same terms, even if they are not themselves UK nationals, as long as both the UK national and the child meet the conditions listed above.

This will not apply to Irish nationals living in the UK and Ireland whose right to study and to access benefits and services will be preserved on a reciprocal basis for UK and Irish nationals under the Common Travel Area arrangement.

EU Settlement Scheme
EU, EEA or Swiss citizens can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If successful, applicants will get either settled or pre-settled status. Those with pre-settled status will qualify as a home student if they have 3 years residency in the UK/EEA/Gibraltar/Switzerland immediately before the start of their course.

Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) or Indefinite leave to enter (ILE)
Candidates with ILR or ILE can continue to live in the UK without applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

International Student
If a candidate does not meet the criteria above, they would be classed as an International student.

International students will require a student visaLink opens in a new window in order to be able to study in the UK. There are costs associated with the visa application process, which must be met by the student; approximately £2500 for the visa and healthcare surcharge. Please ensure you have the means to meet these costsLink opens in a new window before you apply to the programme.

Please see Annex B for the full eligibility guidelinesLink opens in a new window.