This seminar is open to everyone at Warwick interested in problem-solving. One of objectives is to select and prepare Warwick's team for the 25th International Mathematical Competition (IMC) that will take place 22 - 28 July 2018 in Bulgaria. We expect to have six training sessions and three selection tests (1-2pm on Wednesdays) as follows:
- 17 Jan: Peter Pach "Analysis" (handout)
- 25 Jan: Peter Pach "Analysis" (handout)
- 31 Jan: Test 1
- 7 Feb: Oleg Pikhurko "Polynomials" (handout).
Homework for 14 Feb: Problems 5 & 8
- 14 Feb: Dan Kral' "Linear Algebra" (handout)
Homework for 21 February: Problems 7 & 8
- 21 Feb: Test 2
- 28 Feb: Oleg Pikhurko "Polynomials" (handout)
Homework for 7 March: Problems 1 & 7
- 7 Mar: Rajesh Chitnis "Combinatorics" (handout)
- 14 Mar: Test 3
All sessions are in Room MS.04 except when it is stated otherwise.
The Mathematics Department will cover the travel and registration expenses of the selected team. Undergraduates (from any department) as well as 4th year students (such as MMath, MASt, and MSc) are eligible, provided they have completed at most 4 years of university education by July 2018.
No prior registration is required; just turn up for the first session on 17 January. No credit will be awarded for taking the seminar.
Further information will be added here in due time. As an extra preparation for the seminar, we recommend solving past problems (available online with solutions) from the following competitions:
- International Mathematical Competition (IMC)
- Putnam Competition
- Vojtech Jarnik Mathematical Competition
Oleg Pikhurko (note that OP's office hours in Term 2 are 12-1 and 3-4pm on Wednesdays in B2.12 Zeeman)