This is the webpage of the Leverhulme Research Project Grant RPG-2018-424 "Measurable Combinatorics", 1 October 2019 - 30 September 2023 (warwick.ac.uk/meascomb).
This project will explore emerging deep connections between combinatorics and other fields such as analysis, descriptive set theory, ergodic theory, measured group theory, etc, with applications going both ways. One way of applying analytic techniques to finite graphs will be by means of graph limits (analytic objects of bounded complexity that capture asymptotic properties of large graphs). In the other direction, combinatorial techniques will be applied in search of "constructive'' solutions to some foundational mathematical problems, in particular building upon the recent remarkable results that one can split a 2-dimensional disk into ``definable'' pieces and re-arrange them to form a square.
Group Members Supported by the Grant
- Apr'21: OP was awarded a 5-year ERC Advanced Grant for €1.58m
- Dec'20: OP appointed to the Program Committee of Eurocomb 2021
- 1 Dec'20: OP was the internal examiner of Yani Pehova's PhD thesis that was successfully defended. Congratulations, Yani!
- Nov'20: OP appointed to the Scientific Advisory Board of IMTech
- JG and OP organise 2020-21 Warwick's Combinatorics Seminar
- 25-30 Jul'20: George Kontogeorgiou and OP are team leaders of Warwick's team at the 27-th International Mathematics Competition
- 2 Jul'20: OP was an external examiner of Jan Corsten's PhD thesis at LSE, that was successfully defended. Congratulations, Jan!
- 5 May'20: Jan Grebik successfully defended his PhD thesis "Definable graphs". Congratulations!!
- 1 Jan'20: OP appointed to the Editorial Board of "Random Structures and Algorithms"
- 4 Nov'19: OP was an external examiner of François Pirot's PhD thesis at Radboud University, Nijmegen, that was successfully defended. Congratulations, François!
All papers (pre-publication versions) should be freely available from arxiv.org. Please contact one of the authors if you have difficulty accessing them.
- L.Grabowski, A.Mathe, OP: Measurable equidecompositions for group actions with an expansion property, accepted by J Eur Math Soc, 48 pages.
- A.Blumenthal, B.Lidicky, Y.Pehova, F.Pfender, OP and J.Volec: Sharp bounds for decomposing graphs into edges and triangles, Combin Prob Comput, 30 (2021) 271-287
- H.Liu, OP and K.Staden: The exact minimum number of triangles in graphs of given order and size, Forum of Math, Pi 8 (2020) 144pp.
- M.Kang, T.Makai and OP: Supersaturation Problem for the Bowtie, European J Comb 88 (2020) 103107.
- JG and OP: Measurable versions of Vizing's theorem, Advances in Mathematics, 374 (2020) paper 107378, 40pp
- J.Kim, H.Liu, OP and M.Sharifzadeh: Asymptotic Structure for the Clique Density Theorem, Discrete Analysis (2020) Paper 19, 26pp
- OP: Borel Combinatorics of Locally Finite Graphs, 51pp
- C.T.Conley, JG and OP: Divisibility of Spheres with Measurable Pieces, 31pp
- H.Liu, OP, M.Sharifzadeh and K.Staden: Stability from graph symmetrisation arguments with applications to inducibility, 41pp
- JG and I. Rocha: Fractional Isomorphism of Graphons, accepted to Combinatorica, 24pp
- JG: Approximate Schreier decorations and approximate Konig line coloring theorem, 11pp
- JG and Z. Vidnyánszky: Tall Fσ subideals of tall analytic ideals, 5pp
- JG and OP: Large Deviation Principles for Block and Step Graphon Random Graph Models, 17pp
- O.Cooley, M.Kang and OP: On a question of Vera T. Sos about size forcing of graphons, 22pp
- JG and Vasek Rozhon: Of Toasts and Tails, 57pp
- JG and Vasek Rozhon: Classification of Local Problems on Paths from the Perspective of Descriptive Combinatorics, 34pp
- 11 Oct: OP, Workshop "Measurable, Borel, and Topological Dynamics", CIRM
- 4 Nov: OP, Workshop "Structure, Sparsity and Randomness", Radbound University, Nijmegen
- 6 Nov: OP, Old Codger's One-Day Combinatorics Colloquium, Reading
- 21 Nov: OP, 3in1 Workshop on Graph Theory, Doslonce, Poland
- 18 Dec: JG, Seminar on Reckoning, Institute of Mathematics of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague
- 20 Dec: JG, Combinatorial group seminar, Institute of Computer Science of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague
- 7 Jan: JG, DIMAP seminar, Warwick University
- 14 Jan: OP, Warwick Maths Society
- 30 Jan: OP, ACO Seminar, Carnegie Mellon University
- 11 Feb: OP, seminar, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan
- 11 Feb: JG, STUK5 mini-talk, Royal Society building, London
- 17 Feb: OP, Krakow Combinatorics Seminar
- 11 Mar: JG, Algebra and Geometry Seminar, Lancaster University
- 20 May: JG, Caltech logic (online) seminar, Caltech
- 27 Jul: OP, Extremal and Probabilistic Combinatorics Webinar
- 4 & 7 Aug: JG, Midsummer Combinatorial Workshop XXIV, Charles University, Prague
- 21 Oct: JG, Probability seminar (online), UBC
- 10 Nov: OP, UIUC Graph Theory and Combinatorics Seminar
- 23 Nov: JG, Extremal and Probabilistic Combinatorics Webinar
- 27 Nov: OP, TU Graz Combinatorics and Optimization Seminar
- 18 Dec: OP, Combinatorics Seminar of Shandong University
- 11 Jan: OP, Combinatorics Seminar, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- 22 Feb: OP, Caltech Logic Seminar
- 10 March: JG, UBC probability seminar
- 20-26 June: OP, Mini-symposium on Extremal and Probabilistic Combinatorics, 8th European Congress of Mathematics
- 5-9 Jul: OP, plenary talk at the 28th British Combinatorial Conference
- 7-11 Feb: OP, Logic and Random Discrete Structures, Dagstuhl