I am interested in the adaptations that enable pathogenic bacteria to thrive in a host; this may include mechanisms of nutrient acquisition or immune evasion but also dedicated virulence factors. I am currently studying how members of the entomopathogenic genus Photorhabdus have evolved to be human as well as insect pathogens.
I obtained BA(Hons) and MSci degrees in Natural Sciences - Biochemistry from the University of Cambridge in 2009. It was during the last stages of my undergraduate course that I became interested in Microbiology. In particular, I conducted a project in Prof George Salmond's lab on the regulation of secondary metabolism in Serratia and decided I wanted to continue work on bacteriology. Later on, I moved to the University of Edinburgh to do a PhD in Prof Jose Vazquez-Boland lab, studying virulence determinants of the pathogenic actinomycete Rhodococcus equi and the interaction between the pathogen and its host. I completed my thesis in 2013 and have since moved to Warwick to work together with Dr Nick Waterfield.
- Hapeshi, Alexia, Benarroch, Jonatan Mimon, Clarke, David James, Waterfield, Nicholas R., 2019. Iso-propyl stilbene : a life cycle signal?. Microbiology, 165 (5), pp. 516-526
- Chen, Lihong, Song, Nan, Liu, Bo, Zhang, Nan, Alikhan, Nabil-Fareed, Zhou, Zhemin, Zhou, Yanyan, Zhou, Siyu, Zheng, Dandan, Chen, Mingxing, Hapeshi, Alexia, Healey, Joseph R. J., Waterfield, Nicholas R., Yang, Jian, Yang, Guowei, 2019. Genome-wide identification and characterization of a superfamily of bacterial extracellular contractile injection systems. Cell Reports, 29 (2), pp. 511-521.e2
- Simpson, Daniel H., Hapeshi, Alexia, Rogers, Nicola J., Brabec, Viktor, Clarkson, Guy J., Fox, David J., Hrabina, Ondrej, Kay, Gemma L., King, Andrew, Malina, Jaroslav, Millard, Andrew D., Moat, John, Roper, David I., Song, Hualong, Waterfield, Nicholas R., Scott, Peter, 2019. Metallohelices that kill Gram-negative pathogens using intracellular antimicrobial peptide pathways. Chemical Science, 10, pp. 9708-9720
- Hapeshi, Alexia, Waterfield, Nicholas R., 2016. Photorhabdus asymbiotica as an insect and human pathogen. Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology
- Valero-Rello, Ana, Hapeshi, Alexia, Anastasi, Elisa, Alvarez, S., Scortti, Mariela M., Meijer, Wim G., MacArthur, Iain, Vázquez-Boland, José A., 2015. An invertron-like linear plasmid mediates intracellular survival and virulence in bovine isolates of Rhodococcus equi. Infection and Immunity, 83 (3), pp. 2725-2737
- Mulley, Geraldine, Beeton, Michael L., Wilkinson, Paul, Vlisidou, Isabella, Ockendon-Powell, Nina, Hapeshi, Alexia, Tobias, Nick J., Nollmann, Friederike I., Bode, Helge B., van den Elsen, Jean, ffrench-Constant, Richard H., Waterfield, Nicholas R., 2015. From insect to man : photorhabdus sheds light on the emergence of human pathogenicity. PLoS One, 10 (12)
- Gonzalez-Iglesias, P., Scortti, Mariela M., MacArthur, Iain, Hapeshi, Alexia, Rodríguez, Héctor, Prescott, John F., Vázquez-Boland, José A., 2014. Mouse lung infection model to assess rhodococcus equi virulence and vaccine protection. Veterinary Microbiology, 172 (1-2), pp. 256-264
- Vázquez-Boland, José A., Giguère, Steeve, Hapeshi, Alexia, MacArthur, Iain, Anastasi, Elisa, Valero-Rello, Ana, 2013. Rhodococcus equi : the many facets of a pathogenic actinomycete. Veterinary Microbiology, 167 (1-2), pp. 9-33
- Letek, Michal, González, Patricia, MacArthur, Iain, Rodríguez, Héctor, Freeman, Tom C., Valero-Rello, Ana, Blanco, Mónica, Buckley, Tom, Cherevach, Inna, Fahey, Ruth, Hapeshi, Alexia, Holdstock, Jolyon, Leadon, Desmond, Navas, Jesús, Ocampo, Alain, Quail, Michael A., Sanders, Mandy, Scortti, Mariela M., Prescott, John F., Fogarty, Ursula, Meijer, Wim G., Parkhill, Julian, Bentley, Stephen D., Vázquez-Boland, José A., 2010. The genome of a pathogenic rhodococcus : cooptive virulence underpinned by key gene acquisitions. PLoS Genetics, 6 (9)