Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

Applications for accredited postgraduate courses are handled in the first instance by Postgraduate Admissions, from where offers are made based on the recommendations made by WMS. The Postgraduate Admissions office is responsible for all aspects of the application process. In addition, the Academic Office offers advice and assistance on all postgraduate matters and, if unable to handle a specific query, will direct you to a department in the University which can.

Application Deadlines: International applicants for full-time and part-time programmes must submit their application by 31 July for courses that begin in October. If you are a UK or EU applicant, the deadline for applications is 31 August.

The normal entry requirement is a first or second class honours degree (minimum 2:2) from a UK university or comparable institution plus suitable experience. Overseas candidates will be required to show sufficient competence in English.

Please note that if you are applying using a computer based within an NHS organisation, the firewalls within the IT system may block any attached supporting documents e.g. references, copies of certificates, from your application and any subsequent email correspondence. Non-receipt of these items by the University will result in a delay to your application and may result in you being unsuccessful in securing a place on your chosen course of study. It is therefore strongly recommended that if you use an NHS-based computer to apply for a course that any supporting documentation is sent to the University either through the post or using a private computer/email address.

Short Courses

See our range of professional training and CPD programmes.

Who are WMS courses for?

Our courses are aimed at health and social care professionals who would like the opportunity to study at an advanced level.

WMS provides a number of entry routes into postgraduate study. Students can initially register for a Masters course, a single module (Postgraduate Award, referred to as a PGA) or, in some areas, a Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma course.

In addition, WMS offers nationally-regarded courses in areas such as diabetes and advanced clinical practice.

What's involved in studying a WMS course?

Modules are normally worth 20 Credit Accumulation and Transfer Scheme (CATS) points.

CATS points are the ‘common currency’ of educational attainment in universities and enable you to transfer between similar programmes offered by different institutions. However, it is the remit of the receiving institution whether to accept CATS from another HEI.

What about a Masters degree?

We are very aware that many people have to juggle a range of commitments in their lives and so our courses are especially designed to be flexible but they are also multidisciplinary and multi-professional to help you to develop your understanding of different dimensions of health care delivery.

Course leaders and tutors are all experienced practitioners or academic researchers with considerable understanding of the needs of health care professionals and they will always offer help and support where required.

You can build up modules to obtain a

  • Postgraduate Award (20 or 40 CATS)
  • Postgraduate Certificate (60 CATS)
  • Postgraduate Diploma (120 CATS)
  • full Masters Degree (180 CATS)

If you wish to enrol for one of the Masters courses, you will study a combination of core and optional modules, followed by a professional project involving substantial independent work on a relevant topic of particular interest to you.

While preparing your project you will, of course, receive guidance and support from a designated University supervisor.

A full-time Masters degree will take one year to complete. Part-time Masters degrees are normally taken over a period of three years.

This flexibility will enable you to plan and manage study time within the constraints of work and other commitments.

Do I have to commit to a complete Masters degree right from the start?

No, you can initially register for a Postgraduate Award (a single module, usually 20 CATS points) and then, if you wish to, upgrade to a Postgraduate Certificate (3 x 20 CATS modules), normally undertaken in one year, Postgraduate Diploma (6 x 20 CATS modules), normally undertaken in two years, or Masters degree, normally undertaken in three years.

If you do enrol on a Masters degree and then find that your circumstances change and you cannot complete it, you can either take a break from your studies and return at a later date, or exit and be awarded the appropriate qualification, which will depend on how many modules you've completed.

What about fees and funding?

Course fees for all WMS courses are listed on the Fees and Funding pages. University fees are reviewed annually.
Postgraduate Loans: Visit the University's postgraduate loan pages to see if you are eligible to apply.

Overseas students: There is a wide range of funding available to postgraduate students from outside the EU who wish to study in Britain. Visit the University's Scholarship pages for further information.

What if I'm not seeking a postgraduate qualification?

Dissertation or Professional project , what's the difference?

All our taught master's degree programmes involve a substantial piece of individual work undertaken with guidance from a designated supervisor.

The MSc in Health Research requires a Dissertation to be completed while the remainder require a Professional Project.

When you reach the appropriate stage in your course you will be issued with full guidance on the preparation of a Professional Project or Dissertation.

The Professional Project and Dissertation will normally be the final module of your course.

Degree with Professional Project

This involves 7 taught modules (each worth 20 CATS)

The Professional Project is normally 8-10,000 words and worth 40 CATS.

Professional Projects can take a variety of forms, including critical appraisal of research literature relevant to a particular area of practice, work based on clinical audit, and evaluations of evidence-based service development.

Professional Projects should not involve primary research activities.

Degree with Dissertation (MSc in Health Research only)

This involves 6 taught modules (each worth 20 CATS)

The Dissertation is normally 15-20,000 words and is worth 60 CATS.

Dissertations can take a variety of forms, including small-scale empirical research involving either qualitative or quantitative research methods. Research involving human participants may require approval by a Research Ethics Committee (within the University or the NHS, depending on where the research is carried out).

Can I use courses I've done in the past as credit towards a Warwick Medical School qualification?

Yes, if the courses you've already completed are of equivalent scope and standard of optional modules that are offered as part of your course. If this is the case, you can apply for Accreditation of Prior Learning for up to one third of a University of Warwick qualification, or 50% if your earlier qualification is from Warwick. The University of Warwick's policy on AP(C/E)L can be found at the prior learning pages.

What if my circumstances change and I can't continue with my course?

If you no longer want to complete a qualification you've been aiming for, you can leave the course with whatever credit you've gained so far and may receive a Postgraduate Award, Postgraduate Certificate or Postgraduate Diploma depending on how many modules you've completed.

If you need to take a break from your studies and return at a later date, you can apply for a temporary withdrawal, which has the effect of 'stopping the clock' on your registration. When you return to your studies, you will be supported in picking up where you left off.

What are the IT requirements for studying at WMS?

All of our courses require online access for course materials, submission of assessed coursework, student evaluation and feedback.

You will also be provided with University of Warwick email account for us to communicate with you.

Therefore you will need to have appropriate IT equipment e.g. laptop, tablet, and to bring them with you on the days you attend the University.

We expect that students have reasonable IT skills and to facilitate this, the University offers many courses and support on the use of IT, which are freely available to all students.

For students who are NHS employees, please note that NHS-based IT equipment often has firewalls and may not allow full access to University IT systems.