These course handbooks describe the programme of the 3 year BSc degree in Physics and Business Studies. They should be read in conjunction with the general information that is relevant to all programmes based in the Physics Department. Any query concerning your degree course should be directed to your personal tutor, or the Senior Tutor.
The degree is designed for students who enjoy physics but wish also to widen their studies in the direction of business, with a view to possible employment in management areas of science-based industries.
During the first two years of the degree, students are based in the Physics department. Students take the core physics courses and in the second year an introductory course on business. They also often take more outside options than physics students including perhaps a foreign language course. In the third year students transfer to the Business School and take business studies courses.
Students initially registered for this programme may transfer to the physics degree programme at the end of either the first or second year. If you decide you would like to follow the four-year MPhys programme in Physics then you must transfer before the end of the third term of the first year.
Our aims for the Physics and Business Studies degree are:
- To provide a stimulating education in Physics and Business Studies
- To provide a learning environment which helps students to achieve their full academic potential
- To help students develop intellectual and general transferable skills
- To leave students well-prepared for the next step in their professional lives
When you graduate, you should
- Have developed your appreciation and understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and of how these can explain physical phenomena.
- Have obtained a working knowledge of basic mathematical techniques.
- Have developed your ability to carry out experimental investigations and to report the results appropriately.
- Have developed your analytical, problem-solving, self-study, communication and independent working skills. You will also have had opportunities to develop organisational, modern language and other skills.
- Have a good understanding of a range of topics in business studies.