This document provides information for fourth year students taking the MPhys in Physics with Astrophysics.
We hope that you will find this document useful, and that it will help you to successfully complete your fourth year at University. If you consider that there is information which could usefully be added, or if you discover an error, please inform either the Course Director or the Senior Tutor.
Last year you saw how the basic physics you learnt in the first two years was applied in rather more complex 'real' situations. A common ingredient in these applications was the need for approximation. This year's modules follow on in a rather similar manner often taking you very close to areas of current research interest, both here at Warwick and elsewhere.
A major feature of the final year is your project which will occupy a significant amount of your time. Your project will provide you with the experience of exploring a particular area of astrophysics in depth, and of working with your partner and supervisor to bring it to a successful conclusion within the permitted time. You will also experience what it is like to work in a research group.
This year's course has been designed with the following aims and objectives.
- To enable students to study a range of physics and astrophysics topics at a level appropriate for a future career in astrophysics.
- To permit students to specialise in areas of astrophysics of particular interest to them.
- To make students aware of current research interests in a number of areas of physics or astrophysics.
- To further develop students' transferable skills.
On the completion of the fourth year, you should
- Have a good in depth understanding of a broad range of topics in physics and astrophysics.
- Be able, with appropriate supervision, to undertake project work in astrophysics, and to communicate the results clearly in writing and orally.
- Be well-prepared for the next step in your professional lives, whether this involves further training or moving directly into a career.
[ Top of Document ]