I am a third-year PhD student working jointly with the Magnetic X-ray Scattering group and the Surface Science group. I gained an MPhys from the University of York in 2009 after working on a project to develop a non-contact GMR detection device based on IR reflectivity.
At Warwick my project will focus on the study of half-metallic Heusler alloys such as NiMnSb, a class of material which is of potential use for spin injection in a spin-based transistor. The critical parameter to be identified is the spin polarisation at the Fermi energy. Measurements to this effect will be made with several techniques including Magnetic Compton Scattering (MCS), X-ray Magnetic Circular Dichroism (XMCD) and Spin Polarised Photoelectron Spectroscopy (SPPES).
Other necessary characterisation techniques will include magnetometry, for which a Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM), Superconducting Quantum Interference Device (SQUID) and Magneto-Optic Kerr Effect (MOKE) will be employed, and crystal structure determination, made using the standard x-ray diffraction methods. X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) and Energy Dispersive X-ray analysis (EDX) will be used to determine the chemical composition of samples created at Warwick.
- NS1: Nano/Surface Physics I - Atomic Structure
- EX3: Crystallography
- EX4: Magnetism in Condensed Matter Systems
Atended the Condensed Matter and Materials Physics (CMMP) conference on 15 - 17 December 2009.
Presented a poster at the 10th International Workshop on X-Ray Spectroscopy of Magnetic Solids (XRMS10) at Diamond Light Source on 10 - 11 June 2010.
- XMCD study at NSLS, Brookhaven National Laboratory, New York - November 2009.
- XPS on bulk MnSb at NCESS, Daresbury Labs, UK - March 2010.
- Magnetic Compton scattering, SPring-8, Japan - December 2010.
- Magnetic Compton scattering, SPring-8, Japan - May 2011.
- XMCD study at Diamond Light Source, UK - July 2011.
- Magnetic Compton scattering, SPring-8, Japan - November 2011.
Office: MAS Building - 3rd floor open plan space
Telephone: +44 (0)2476573882