In 2015 I joined the Superconductivity and Magnetism group at the University of Warwick as a postgraduate research student where I undertook my PhD under the supervision of Martin Lees. I completed my MPhys Physics degree at the University of St Andrews in 2015.
I rejoined the Superconductivity and Magnetism group at the University of Warwick in the summer of 2019 as a research fellow, where I work with Prof. Geetha Balakrishnan, as a part of The Skyrmion Project.
My current research focuses on skyrmionic materials. In particular the synthesis and characterisation of single-crystal samples that host skyrmions.
During my PhD, my research was focused on noncentrosymmetric superconducting systems. In particular, I am interested in superconductors where time-reversal symmetry breaking is also observed. My work involves the synthesis of high-quality polycrystalline and single-crystal samples that can then be characterised using a variety of low-temperature thermodynamic, transport and magnetisation measurements. I also use international central facilities to carry neutron scattering, muon spectroscopy, and high magnetic field experiments.
A copy of my thesis can be found through the following link: Experimental Studies of Noncentrosymmetric Superconductors
D. A. Mayoh, M. J. Pearce, K. Götze, A. D. Hillier, G. Balakrishnan, and M. R. Lees, Superconductivity and the upper critical field in the noncentrosymmetric superconductor NbRh2B2, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 31, 465601 (2019).
F. R . Arantes, D. Aristizábal-Giraldo, D. A. Mayoh, Y. Yamane, C. Yang, M. R. Lees, J. M. Osorio-Guillén, T. Takabatake, M. A. Avila, Superconductivity in monocrystalline YNiSi3 and LuNiS3, Physical Review B. 99, 224505 (2019).
D. A. Mayoh, J. A. T. Barker, R. P. Singh, G. Balakrishnan, D. McK. Paul, and M. R. Lees, Superconducting and normal-state properties of the noncentrosymmetric superconductor Re6Zr, Physical Review B 96, 064521 (2017).
- "Unconventional superconductivity in noncentrosymmetric compounds", Public Seminar, Paul Scherrer Institut, Switzerland (2019)
- "Noncentrosymmetric superconductors and the University of Warwick", Hiroshima University, Japan (2017)
- "Detecting unconventional superconductivity using muons", UK Neutron and Muon Science and User Meeting, Warwick, UK (2019)
- "Investigating the unconventional superconductivity in single crystals of the noncentrosymmetric superconductor La7Ir3", American Physical Society March Meeting, Los Angeles, USA. (2018)
- "Unconventional superconductivity in the noncentrosymmetric superconductors Re6Zr and La7Ir3", First USC Theory-Experiment Collaborative Meeting, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Oxford, UK. (2017)
- UK Neutron and Muon Science and User Meeting, Warwick, UK (2018 & 2019)
- Superconductivity Day, Liverpool, UK (2017)
- Frontier of Condensed Matter Physics, Bristol, UK (2017 & 2018)
- International Conference on Strongly Correlated Electron Systems, Prague, Czech Republic (2017)
ISIS Neutron Training School 2016
ISIS Muon Training School 2016
Diamond DTC Module: Properties & Characterisation Materials
Teaching Duties & Outreach
I was was a demonstrator and marker for the 1st Year Physics Teaching Laboratory and 1st Year Electronics Laboratory between 2015 and 2019.
As a trained cryogenics user I play an active role in the Physics departments outreach team demonstrating the wonders of liquid nitrogen as well as the superconducting levitating train.
I was honoured to be selected as a commendee for the Warwick Awards for Teaching Excellence for Postgraduates who Teach 2018.
Superconductivity and Magnetism Group (Room 230)
Department of Physics
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
D dot Mayoh dot 1 at warwick dot ac dot uk
+44 (0)2476 522329