My Research Profile
In 2015 I joined the Superconductivity and Magnetism group at the University of Warwick as a postgraduate research student where I undertook my PhD under the supervision of Martin Lees. I completed my MPhys Physics degree at the University of St Andrews in 2015.
I rejoined the Superconductivity and Magnetism group at the University of Warwick in the summer of 2019 as a research fellow, where I work with Prof. Geetha Balakrishnan, as a part of The Skyrmion Project.
My current research focuses on skyrmionic materials. In particular the synthesis and characterisation of single-crystal samples that host skyrmions.
During my PhD, my research was focused on noncentrosymmetric superconducting systems. In particular, I am interested in superconductors where time-reversal symmetry breaking is also observed. My work involves the synthesis of high-quality polycrystalline and single-crystal samples that can then be characterised using a variety of low-temperature thermodynamic, transport and magnetisation measurements. I also use international central facilities to carry neutron scattering, muon spectroscopy, and high magnetic field experiments.
A copy of my PhD thesis can be found through the following link: Experimental studies of noncentrosymmetric superconductors
A full and up-to-date list of all my publications (including number of citations) can be found by visiting the databases linked to in the panel on the right.
D. A. Mayoh, S. J. R. Holt, T. Takabatake, G. Balakrishnan, M. R. Lees, Anisotropic superconductivity abd unusually robust electronic critical field in single crystal La7Ir3, Physical Review Materials 5, 114803 (2021).
D. A. Mayoh, G. D. A wood, S. J. R. Holt, G. Beckett, E. J. L. Dekker, M. R. Lees, G. Balakrishnan, Effects of Fe Deficiency and Co Substituion in Polycrystalline and Single Crystal of Fe3GeTe2, Crystal Growth & Design 21, 6786 (2021).
P. K. Biswas, S.K. Ghosh, J. Z. Zhao, D. A. Mayoh, N. D. Zhigadlo, X. Xu, C. Baines, A. D. Hillier, G. Balakrishnan, M. R. Lees, Chiral Singlet Superconductivity in the weakly correlated metal LaPt3P, Nature Communications 12, 2504 (2021).
D. A. Mayoh, A. D. Hillier, G. Balakrishnan, M. R. Lees, Evidence for the coexistence of time-reversal symmetry breaking and Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer-like superconductivity in La7Pd3, Physical Review B 103, 024507 (2021).
D. A. Mayoh, M. J. Pearce, K. Götze, A. D. Hillier, G. Balakrishnan, and M. R. Lees, Superconductivity and the upper critical field in the noncentrosymmetric superconductor NbRh2B2, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 31, 465601 (2019)
D. A. Mayoh, J. A. T. Barker, R. P. Singh, G. Balakrishnan, D. McK. Paul, and M. R. Lees, Superconducting and normal-state properties of the noncentrosymmetric superconductor Re6Zr, Physical Review B 96, 064521 (2017)
Recent Conference Highlights:
- "Exploring Unconventional superconductivity in noncentrosymmetric compounds", Physics Colloquium Series, Technische Universität Braunschweig (2021).
- "Chiral Magnetism and the nature of magnetic ordering in the intercalated transition metal dichalcogenides", Theoretical and Experimental Magnetism Meeting, Online Conference (2021).
- "Unconventional superconductivity in noncentrosymmetric compounds", Public Seminar, Paul Scherrer Institut, Switzerland (2019).
- "Chiral magnetism and the Hall effect in Cr1/3NbS2" CRIM 2021: Magnetic Skyrmions workshop (2021).
- "Exploring superconductivity using μSR in hexagonal noncentrosymmetric superconductors", Condensed Matter and Quantum Materials, Online Conference (2021).
- "Magneto-transport and magnetic ordering in the intercalated transition metal dichalcogenides", American Physical Society March Meeting, Online Conference (2021).
- "Detecting unconventional superconductivity using muons", UK Neutron and Muon Science and User Meeting, Warwick, UK (2019).
- UK Neutron and Muon Science and User Meeting, Warwick, UK (2018 & 2019).
- Superconductivity Day, Liverpool, UK (2017).
I was was a demonstrator and marker for the 1st Year Physics Teaching Laboratory and 1st Year Electronics Laboratory between 2015 and 2019. I was honoured to be selected as a commendee for the Warwick Awards for Teaching Excellence for Postgraduates who Teach 2018.
Public Engagement, Outreach and Widening Participation
I help run a series of workshops on superconducting 'levitation'. As part of this program, I deliver the workshops at the university of Warwick, local schools and at science events. The levitation workshop aims to explain the importance of superconductivity and magnetism in every day life. We demonstrate the stark changes that occur to the physical properties of materials when we cool them down using cryogenic liquids.
Events and activities
Here's a list with some of the recent public engagement, widening participation and outreach events and activities in which I have been involved.
XMaS Science Gala (2019).
- XMaS Science Gala (2018).
Science Festivals & Family Days:
- Girl Guiding (Brownies) Science Day (2018)
- Warwick Family Days (2018).
- The Big Bang UK Young Scientists & Engineers Fair (2017/2018).
- Festival of the Imagination (2015).
- Physics in the Field Demonstrator, Institute of Physics (2012)
University Open Days:
- University of Warwick, Physics Department (2015- Present)
- University of St Andrews, School of Physics and Astronomy (2010- 2015)
Other Professional Activities:
- Reviewer for Scientific Journals including Physical Review Letters, Physical Review B and Physical Review Materials.
- Health and Safety Committee - Representative of Chemical Handling and Chemical Storage (since 2021)
- Member of the Institute of Physics (IOP) (Since 2010)
- Co-organiser of the IOP Conference for Astronomy and Physics Students (CAPS) in St Andrews in 2014.
Below are a list of courses/training schools that I took during me postgraduate studies:
- ISIS Neutron Training School 2016
- ISIS Muon Training School 2016
- Diamond DTC Module: Properties & Characterisation Materials
Superconductivity and Magnetism Group (Room 230)
Department of Physics
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
D dot Mayoh dot 1 at warwick dot ac dot uk
+44 (0)2476 522329