Dr. Ramadas is currently the "Business & Technology Director Ultrasonics" for Elster Metering Limited (now part of Honeywell). Previously, Dr. Ramadas secured a multi-partner EU funded research program SACUT, (European Commission Ref. 612118). This enabled him to work full-time (between October 2013 to June 2015) at Physics department, as a Marie Curie Research Fellow (secondment from industry) - within this role, he led the transducer design & fabrication work packages within SACUT. Dr. Ramadas was also instrumental in setting-up and leading two new research laboratories within the ultrasonic group here - both around his main research area of interest (ultrasonic transduction technology and industrial flow measurement).
- Application specific ultrasonic transducer design & fabrication
- Industrial ultrasonic flow measurement (both liquid & gas)
- Digital signal/image processing techniques
- Software development
Current research activities
- Steerable air-coupled transducer technology for flow measurement & NDT application - EU Funded Research
- New sustainable materials and mathods for ultrasonic flow measurement application - Honeywell EngD project
Past research activities
- K.Shvydkyy, "Materials GRP summer student project with IINM-WMG", 2016.
- T.J.R.Eriksson, "Flexural ultrasonic transduction systems" - Elster PhD Research.
- M. Laws, "Plate waveguide buffer design for ultrasonic flow measurement in harsh environment" - Elster PhD Research.
- C.Fan, "Advance manufacturing of ultrasonic transducers", Proof of Concept Study.
- A.Panis, "FE Modelling study: Novel matching layers for air coupled transducers", Student Summer Project, 2015.
- K.Shvydkyy, "FE Modelling study: Composite piezos for air coupled transducers", Summer Project, 2015.
- A.Ulahannan, T.Feldman, P.Dean, E.Gill, J.Cyriax, H.Chau, G.Ruh, "New static pressure test experimental setup: design/development", Engineering Group Project, 2014.
- J.Cooper, "Computational fluid dynamics modelling of warwick gas flow facility", Eng. Student Project 2015.
- A.Carter, "Backing study for ultrasonic transducers", Student Summer Project, 2014.
- J.McGuinness, "Porous PZT", Student Summer Project, 2014.
- E.Gill, "3D printed graded matching layers for air coupled transducers", Student Summer Project, 2014.
- J.Tkocz, "Smart manufacturing of ultrasonic transducers and arrays", Student Summer Project, 2014.
- J. Povey, "Liquid level measurement", Student Summer Project, 2014.
- D.Walker, "NDT & application specific transducer design", Student Summer Project, 2014.
- J.Fotheringham, L.McGregor, F.Zajac, D.Edwards, J.Grifferty, N.Gulati, D.Willoughby, S.Pankhania, "Ultrasonic Flow Measurement", Engineering Group Project, 2013.
- Alvaro P ́erez D ́ıaz, "Analytical modelling of ultrasonic sensors for design optimisation and validation", Complexity mini project, 2014.
- Schlieren visualisation setup - Physics Student Project
- M.Hunter, "Using Additive Passive Layer Manufacturing to Improve Air-Coupled Ultrasonic Transducers", Student Summer Project, 2013.
- S.Stach, "Square Flexural Transducer Design for Air-Coupled Ultrasonic Application", Student Summer Project, 2013.
- C.Lowe, H.Edwards, L.Mardling, L.Winton, T.Vincent, T.Morgan, "Ultrasonic Flow Measurement of Gases", Engineering Group Project, 2012.
- R.Jarvis, "Design and Fabrication of Efficient Matching Layers for Air Coupled Ultrasonic Transducers", Student Summer Project 2012.
- H.Tunnicliffe, "Efficient Flexure Transducer Design and Characterisation for Air Coupled Application", Nuffield Science Summer Placement, 2012.
- T.J.R.Eriksson, "Metal Strips as Ultrasound Waveguides, for Measuring Gas Flow", Student Summer Project 2011.
Most recent publications (Journal/Conference)
- T.J.R. Eriksson, S.N. Ramadas, S.M. Dixon , "Experimental and simulation characterisation of ﬂexural vibration modes in unimorph ultrasound transducers", Ultrasonics, Issue 65, pp 242–248, 2016.
- T.J. R. Eriksson, M.Laws, L.Kang, Y.Fan, S.N.Ramadas and S.Dixon, "Experimental Evaluation of Three Designs of Electrodynamic Flexural Transducers", Sensors, 16, 1363, 2016.
- S.N. Ramadas, G. Harvey, A.Tweedie, "Finite element modelling study to explore the possibilities of ultrasonic gas flow measurement in wet-gas applications", IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium. 2016, Tours.
- L. Kang, T.J.R. Eriksson, S.N. Ramadas, R. Su, D. Lines, M. Kupnik, S. Dixon, "Design of Flexural Ultrasonic Phased Array for Fluid-Coupled Applications", IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium. 2016, Tours.
- S.N. Ramadas, G. Harvey, A.Tweedie, “A complimentary finite element approach to model a complete ultrasonic flow meter”, European Flow Measurement Workshop 2016, Noordwijk.
- S.E. Burrows, S.N. Ramadas, T.J.R. Eriksson, L.Kang, S.M.Dixon, A.Unger, M. Kupnik, "High temperature flexural ultrasonic transducer for non-contact measurement applications", 2016 Joint IEEE International Symposium on the Applications of Ferroelectrics, European Conference on Application of Polar Dielectrics, and Piezoelectric Force Microscopy Workshop (ISAF/ECAPD/PFM), Darmstadt.
O.Trushkevych, T.J.R.Eriksson, S.N.Ramadas, S.Dixon, and R.S.Edwards, "Ultrasound sensing using the acousto-optic effect in polymer dispersed liquid crystals", Appl. Phys. Lett. 107, 054102, 2015.
- M.Laws, S.N.Ramadas, L.C.Lynnworth, S.Dixon, “Parallel Strip Waveguide for Ultrasonic Flow Measurement in Harsh Environments”, IEEE Trans. UFFC, vol. 62, no. 4, April 2015.
- M.Laws, S.N.Ramadas, T.F.Yu, D.Greenshields, S.Dixon, and L.C.Lynnworth, “Strip Waveguide Array Transducer for Fluid Coupled Applications”, IEEE Trans. UFFC <Submitted 31/03/2015>
- S.N.Ramadas, M.Hunter, J.Thornby, C.P.Purssell, S.Leigh, S.M.Dixon; "Additive manufacture of impedance matching layers for air-coupled ultrasonic transducers", 2015 IEEE International Ultrasonic Symposium, Taipei.
- T.J.R Eriksson, S.N. Ramadas, A. Unger, M. Hoffman, M. Kupnik, S. M. Dixon, "Flexural transducer arrays for industrial non-contact applications", 2015 IEEE International Ultrasonic Symposium, Taipei.
- S.N.Ramadas, J.C.Jackson, J.Dziewierz, R.L.O'Leary, and A.Gachagan, “Application of conformal map theory for design of 2D ultrasonic array structure for NDT imaging application: a feasibility study”, IEEE Trans. on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, Vol. 61, No. 3, March 2014.