The incorporation into new products of advanced materials and processes with enhanced properties, performance and/or manufactured cost is essential to the competitiveness of manufacturing industry. This course module will familiarize participants with some of the latest developments in metallics, ceramics and polymer composites and their manufacturing processes.
On completion, participants will:
- Have an appreciation of a range of new and advanced materials and processes.
- Be aware of current and potential applications of the developments covered.
- Understand some of the barriers to the introduction of Advanced Materials and Processes.
- Have identified at least one area within their own Company which is introducing New Materials/Process Technology
- Metallic Materials with Enhanced Performance Characteristics
- Near Net Shape Forming Processes for Metals
- Advanced Ceramic Materials and their Applications
- New Engineering Polymers
- Polymer Composite Matrix and Fibre Reinforcement
- Polymer Composite Fabrication Techniques
This module is an elective module on the MSc Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Management and MSc International Technology Management.
Please note: the details of this module are correct for the current year of study and may be subject to change for future years.