The aim of this module is to equip the participants with the knowledge and confidence to make effective leadership interventions and to be aware of the impact of these interventions in wider organisational settings. Successful interventions will enable them to further build confidence to appropriately and powerfully apply their knowledge and skill to detail as well as wider organisational environments. A core part of the learning is in modelling and practicing appropriate leadership behaviours.
The module is highly participative and will deal with theory, process and practice of leadership. Participants will be involved in a structured process of examining their leadership style and effectiveness and putting into action their plans for improvement.
The theory and process of leadership will be dealt with in as experiential a way as possible. Opportunities for the participants to explore their skills of leadership will be taken wherever possible, including the direction and leadership of their group, within given parameters.
Objectives: On completion, the participant will be able to:
- identify elements of effective leadership practice
- interpret a range of perspectives and theories on leadership
- evaluate the role, responsibilities and styles of leaders
- make leadership interventions to improve personal and organisational effectiveness
- to grow their leadership capability through feedback and reflective practice
- describe complexities of leadership deriving from differences in cultural values (personal & organisational)
- evaluate the impact of situational differences on behaviour
- explore their own authentic leadership style
- Developing personal leadership and authenticity
- Examining leadership theories and practices in context
- Identifying, comparing and contrasting a range of theories and philosophies on leadership
- Appreciating examples of leadership in a variety of settings and scenarios
- Analysing aspects of leadership and how they relate to individual practice
- Understanding cultural diversity and its implications
- Applying and reviewing personal leadership learning during, and planning for after, the module
- Identifying and exploring personal opportunities for leadership in the module and afterwards
In-module assessment: 30%
Post-module assessment: 70%
The module learning is cumulative and 100% attendance is required. In-module assessment will occur every day.