A well-managed warehouse is now recognised as a potential major source of competitive advantage as opposed to just another source of cost within the supply chain. To achieve this competitive advantage, it is important to choose the right type of operation, processes and equipment, and then understand and continuously improve performance through appropriate measures and controls. Staff motivation and safety is also seen as important aspects within today’s warehouse. This module will provide a thorough insight into all of these areas incorporating real-life examples, guest speakers, an industrial visit and class exercises and case studies.
Each department within the company should have an understanding of the role of the warehouse in today’s supply chain and its relationship with those departments.
on completion successful participants will be able to
Understand warehouse roles, functions operations, procedures and processes and based on this be able to explain and justify the uses of different types of warehouses in today’s supply chain.
To select appropriate techniques to improve warehouse picking operations and make supported recommendations about how technology, such as automated systems, voice and scanning for example can be used to best advantage in the warehouse.
Choose the specific criteria to evaluate and decide on the most appropriate location for a warehouse
Determine how to resource a warehouse, including an analysis of the costs for space, labour and equipment. Calculate the amount of space required based on annual sales data. In module exercise
In Groups, produce a complex warehouse design using their own initiative through the use of commercial software and be able to critique the advantages and disadvantages of each design – In module exercise
- The role of the warehouse in today’s supply chain.
- Types of Warehouse Operation and Warehouse processes.
- Physical picking exercise
- Warehouse IT and automation.
- Warehouse Layout and Equipment.
- Warehouse design and simulation exercise.
- Warehouse Costs and Performance measures.
- Health and safety and environmental issues.
- Procurement and management of 3rd party services.
- Resource planning and labour management.
- The future of warehousing.
- Industrial visit and outsourcing presentation.