Human factors, micromobility, autonomous vehicles, transport optimisation, safety engineering
Dr Roger Woodman is an Assistant Professor at WMG, University of Warwick, where he leads the Human Factors research, within the Intelligent Vehicles group. He received his BSc in Computer Science from the University of Gloucestershire in 2006, MSc in Robotics from the University of the West of England in 2008, and PhD from the Bristol Robotics Laboratory in 2013. He has more than six years industrial experience, working in leading manufacturing, defence, and software companies. He joined the University of Southampton in 2013 as a Research Fellow, specialising in biomedical imaging. In 2017, he joined WMG at the University of Warwick as a Research Fellow, investigating human factors of low-speed autonomous transport. Among his research interests, are future of mobility, provable AI, transport optimisation, micromobility, and last-mile logistics. He has several scientific papers published in the field of autonomous vehicles and robotics. He lectures in the field of human-technology interaction and is an Associate Fellow of the HEA.
PhD in Micromobility Transport Modelling
Currently accepting applications for PhD students and Post-doctoral positions in the area of Human Factors.
- Smyth, Joseph, Birrell, Stewart A., Woodman, Roger, Jennings, P. A. (Paul A.), 2021. Exploring the utility of EDA and skin temperature as individual physiological correlates of motion sickness. Applied Ergonomics, 92
- Kampert, Erik, Schettler, Christoph, Woodman, Roger, Jennings, Paul A., Higgins, Matthew D., 2020. Millimeter-wave communication for a last-mile autonomous transport vehicle. IEEE Access, 8, pp. 8386-8392
- Woodman, Roger, Lu, Ke, Higgins, Matthew D., Brewerton, Simon, Jennings, Paul A., Birrell, Stewart A., 2019. Gap acceptance study of pedestrians crossing between platooning autonomous vehicles in a virtual environment. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 67, pp. 1-14
- Dogramadzi, Sanja, Giannaccini, Maria Elena, Harper, Christopher, Sobhani, Mohammad, Woodman, Roger, Choung, Jiyeon, 2014. Environmental hazard analysis - a variant of preliminary hazard analysis for autonomous mobile robots. Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, 76 (1), pp. 73-117
- Woodman, Roger, Winfield, Alan F. T., Harper, Chris, Fraser, Mike, 2012. Building safer robots : safety driven control. The International Journal of Robotics Research, 31 (13), pp. 1603-1626
- Woodman, Roger, Winfield, Alan F. T., Harper, Chris, Fraser, Mike, 2011. Online hazard analysis for autonomous robots. In Groß, R.; Alboul, L.; Melhuish, C.; Witkowski, M.; Prescott, T. J.; Penders, J. (eds.), Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems, Berlin, Heidelberg, Springer, pp. 406-407
- Sindi, Safaa, Woodman, Roger, 2020. Autonomous goods vehicles for last-mile delivery : evaluation of impact and barriers. 23rd Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, Virtual Conference, 20-23 Sep 2020, Published in 2020 IEEE 23rd International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC)
- Woodman, Roger, Hill, William D., Birrell, Stewart A., Higgins, Matthew D., 2019. An evolutionary approach to the optimisation of autonomous pod distribution for application in an urban transportation service. 2019 23rd International Conference on Mechatronics Technology (ICMT), Salerno, Italy, 23-26 Oct 2019, Published in 2019 23rd International Conference on Mechatronics Technology (ICMT), pp. 1-6
- Woodman, Roger, Lu, Ke, Higgins, Matthew D., Brewerton, Simon, Jennings, Paul. A., Birrell, Stewart A., 2019. A human factors approach to defining requirements for low-speed autonomous vehicles to enable intelligent platooning. 2019 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 9-12 Jun 2019, Paris, France, pp. 2371-2376
- Woodman, Roger, Winfield, Alan, Harper, Chris, Fraser, Mike, 2010. Safety control architecture for personal robots : behaviouralsuppression with deliberative control. 2010 Seventh IARP Workshop on Technical Challenges for Dependable Robots in Human Environments (DRHE), Toulouse, France, 16-17 Jun 2010
- Kampert, Erik, Schettler, Christoph, Woodman, Roger, Jennings, Paul. A., Higgins, Matthew D., 2020. Data for Millimeter-Wave Communication for a Last-MileAutonomous Transport Vehicle. WMG, University of Warwick