Skip to main content Skip to navigation

6: Pastoral care and welfare

Pastoral care and welfare

Departmental Support

If you are unsure about something, it is always best to talk to someone about it. There are a host of different people available to have such a conversation with, depending on your situation and who you feel comfortable talking to in the first instance.

Personal Tutor system

You will be assigned a Personal Tutor in September, to whom you can talk about any matters, academic or personal, on which you need guidance or advice. There are designated personal tutor weeks for all students. In these weeks, you should have a meeting with your personal tutor as a means of receiving feedback on your academic and personal progress, and this may take place with a group of students or on an individual basis. You should use this opportunity to ask your Personal Tutor any questions or discuss any concerns you might have. Personal Tutor weeks have been fixed for Monday 3 October — Friday 7 October 2022 (week 1) and Monday 20 — Friday 24 February 2023 (week 21).

However, if you have questions or concerns at other points throughout the year that you would like to see someone about, your personal tutor is still there to discuss them. You are NOT restricted to seeing your Personal Tutor only during personal tutor weeks, and you can request an individual appointment if you wish to meet privately with your tutor. Every member of staff has Advice and Feedback hours, so in any week during term time you can use those hours to speak with your Personal Tutor. Please note that academic staff might not be available in person during vacation and office hours only apply in term time.

Your Personal Tutor is there to help you when things are not going as well as you would like, for example you have concerns about your academic work or personal development. However, your personal tutor is also there to talk with you when things are going well. You might like to arrange an appointment with your personal tutor to discuss some of the following:

• How to prioritise your module work

• Concerns about application forms for jobs

• Gaining feedback on your personal development, such as skills that you should develop

• Changing modules

• Your non-academic achievements to help your tutor write your reference

• Advice on further study.

By discussing your personal and academic development, as well as your future career plans, your personal tutor will be in a much better position to write you a reference.

Please note that you have the right to request a different Personal Tutor, without giving a reason for your request, and you should contact the Postgraduate Office if you would like to do this.

Senior Tutor

If you have a concern or problem that is perhaps more serious, it is a good idea to go straight to the Senior Tutor for MSc Students. You can, of course, discuss any problems with your Personal Tutor, but they may feel that because of the nature of your concern, the Senior Tutor for MSc Students is in a better position to offer advice. As such, your Personal Tutor may refer you to the Senior Tutor.

They will be able to offer help and advice or point you in the direction of other people and services within the University. They will respect any confidences (subject to University guidelines on confidentiality). Things you may need to discuss include:

• Illness that is affecting or might affect your coursework, tests or exams

• Family or personal circumstances that are affecting or might affect your coursework, tests or exams

• Problems with managing your workload, which is starting to cause you anxiety.

Details of the Senior Tutor's wellbeing drop-in sessions in can be found hereLink opens in a new window.

Director of Graduate Studies (Taught Degrees)

Dr Lory Barile has Advice and Feedback hours throughout the term and can help with academic concerns relating to your course.

Postgraduate Office

The Postgraduate Office is a key resource within the Department and if you have questions about your timetable, assessment, exams, or queries about Departmental procedures, you should contact our team at in the first instance.

University Support

There is a comprehensive network of support and welfare services available to you to support you in times of difficulty. There is often more than one service which may be able to help, and services work together to ensure that any problems are dealt with swiftly and effectively.

Wellbeing Support

Wellbeing Support Services offer brief consultations daily from 10am to 3pm Monday to Friday. These can be accessed via an online queue or students can drop in in-person. The brief consultations are an opportunity to discuss what it is you are looking for support with, to learn about the different support options available, and plan the best next steps for you, with the support of the wellbeing professional.

The Wellbeing Support Team offer advice and support appointments on a wide range of issues. Whether you are an undergraduate or a postgraduate; home or international – if there is something troubling you, or hindering you from focusing on your studies, please come and talk to us.

The issues may be:

  • practical - for example, difficulties with accommodation
  • emotional - family difficulties, homesickness, support through a disciplinary process
  • wellbeing-related - concerns about your wellbeing and how you can better manage it, or that of another member of the University community
  • safety-related - concerns about security, harassment or crime

The Wellbeing Support Team also run a wellbeing programme called Steps to Wellbeing. This programme offers support and advice on managing low mood, stress and anxiety, productivity, managing change and sleep and relaxation. There are also 30-minute masterclasses offering tips on managing your wellbeing that run on a weekly basis during term time.

Wellbeing Support ServicesLink opens in a new window is located on the ground floor of Senate House. To access services, submit an enquiry through the Wellbeing Portal.

Counselling and Psychology Interventions Team

The Counselling and Psychology InterventionsLink opens in a new window Team makes up part of the network of support for all students at any level of study. The team offers students opportunities to access professional support to help them better develop and fulfil their personal, academic and professional potential. There are a wide variety of services, including individual counselling, group sessions, workshops and email counselling.

The Counselling and Psychology Interventions Team is located on the ground floor in Senate House. To access our services, submit an enquiry through the Wellbeing PortalLink opens in a new window.

Disability Services

The University offers a wide range of support services to students with disabilities and encourages a positive climate of disclosure. Students with disabilities can seek advice and support through the Disability ServicesLink opens in a new window team in Wellbeing Support Services.

Disability Services can help make reasonable adjustments to facilitate study, provide advice and specialist services to students. If you experience any access issues in the department due to a disability, please contact the Postgraduate Office in the first instance (Room S1.132 or opens in a new window).

University Dean of Students

The University Dean of Students works closely with Faculty Senior Tutors to assist students and to promote and develop the academic support of students, individually and collectively.

The Dean of Students and the Faculty Senior Tutors are experienced members of academic staff whom students can turn to in confidence for support regarding difficulties with their studies, which they have been unable to resolve with departmental Personal and Senior Tutors. The Dean of Students also has overall responsibility for developing the personal tutor system, but no disciplinary function. The Dean of Students' OfficeLink opens in a new window website explains in more detail when it would be appropriate to contact the office.

The Students Union and Advice Centre

Warwick Students’ UnionLink opens in a new window (SU) is a democratically run, student-led charity and a separate organisation from the University of Warwick. Upon enrolling at Warwick, every student automatically becomes a member of the SU and has access to the range of services they provide, including democracy, academic representation, student activities, welfare and entertainment. There are many different ways for students to get involved at the SU, which can support and enhance their experience whilst at Warwick.

The Students’ Union Advice CentreLink opens in a new window (WSUAC) provides free, independent, non-judgmental, impartial and confidential advice to Warwick students. The team of experienced advisors will provide friendly, professional and practical advice and support or/and signposting on a range of enquiries which include:

  • Academic advice: Appeals, complaints, change of course and problems, temporary or permanent withdrawal, any University Committee proceedings continuation of registration, misconduct or plagiarism, fitness to practice.
  • Housing advice: Campus accommodation, university and private housing, landlord and tenant disputes, tenants’ rights, repairs and deposits.
  • Disciplinary advice: If you are involved in any incident that is investigated under the Disciplinary Regulations, WSUAC can support you through the process and accompany you at meetings and hearings.
  • Money advice: Fees, debt advice, budgeting SFE problems, hardship, money owed to the university.

This is not an exhaustive list of what WSUAC does, so if you are unsure where to get help or advice then please contact themLink opens in a new window and they will help you or signpost you to someone who can help.

The Residential Life Team

All students who have accommodation on campus have access to the Residential Life Team support network. The Residential Life Team works and lives alongside students within the Halls of Residence.

Resident Tutors are there to help with a wide range of matters including personal or family problems, feeling lonely or homesick, problems with accommodation, and when students are not sure where to get help or who to talk to. Resident Tutors in students’ accommodation are their primary point of contact. If unavailable, students are advised to contact the Residential Life TeamLink opens in a new window.

The Health Centre

Students resident on campus and in some local areas should register with the University Health CentreLink opens in a new window. You must be registered in order to use the Health Centre, although the Centre may be able to assist non-registered people in emergencies.

The Health Centre provides primary health-care GP services to registered patients; two medical practices with both male and female doctors; nurse practitioners and Practice Nurses; sexual health clinics; travel clinics and immunisation facilities; and physiotherapy sessions. You should visit the Health Centre if you require a consultation with a doctor or nurse, an emergency appointment, emergency contraception, vaccinations or advice on vaccinations, and sickness certification.

If you are living off-campus and are not able to register with the health centre, you can locate your nearest GP by visiting: www.nhs.ukLink opens in a new window.

The University Health CentreLink opens in a new window is located on Health Centre Road and can be contacted by telephone on 024 765 24888

Student Opportunity

Student OpportunityLink opens in a new window offers a wide range of face-to-face and online resources, workshops, presentations, 1:1 information, advice and guidance and dedicated enquiry point based in the Student Opportunity Hub in Senate House.

Student Opportunity offer services specifically for international studentsLink opens in a new window, including the Immigration & Compliance team which supports all EU and international students during their studies at Warwick and assists with immigration advice (a free and confidential service advising on issues including visa extensions, dependant visas, working in the UK during or after study, travel visas, etc.); practical support (bringing family to the UK, Police registration, provides letters to prove student status for visa purposes, banking); and the supports the welcome, induction and integration of international students.

Advice on immigration should only be obtained via appropriately qualified staff in the Immigration teamLink opens in a new window, or the Students’ Union Advice CentreLink opens in a new window.

It is important to note that changes to a student’s enrolment status, for instance, temporary withdrawal, can have implications for their ability to hold a visa to remain in the UK and students will wish to seek advice accordingly.

The Internationalisation teamLink opens in a new window seek to internationalise the student experience for all, facilitate integration and help students develop their intercultural curiosity and competence. The team supports international students’ transition to Warwick and participation in student life. The international student reception is located on the first floor of University House.

The Chaplaincy

Our Chaplains and Faith Advisors delight in the diversity and vibrancy of relationships between people with differing worldviews. We would love you to be part of the community here and to feel at home.

If you need space to reflect in the midst of a busy academic life, you can find it at the Chaplaincy. It's a place of safety, care and encounter. We're here for absolutely anyone who would appreciate our quieter space and the support of our Chaplains.

You're welcome to drop in and make yourself a hot drink; take a seat in our lounge or study spaces; take a moment by yourself or with friends. Life can be challenging, so if an ear to listen would be helpful, our Chaplains are there for you, whatever your own beliefs and faith. We are here for people of all faiths and none.

If you have a particular faith or religion, we are able to help you meet with people who share your beliefs and can help make University a time of growth for you.

For the latest details and to contact a Chaplain, please refer to the website.

Student Funding

The Student FundingLink opens in a new window team offers information, advice and guidance on all aspects of financial support. This includes government grants and loans, and undergraduate scholarships and bursaries provided directly by the University to students. The team administers University hardship funds to students and can provide budgeting advice.

Students should contact Student Funding if they want further information about what financial support they may be entitled to, including loans, grants, scholarships and bursaries, or are having difficulty meeting essential course-related or living expenses.

The Student Funding team is located on the ground floor of Senate House (open Monday to Thursday, 9am-5pm, Friday 9am-4pm) and can be contacted by telephone on 024 761 50096 or email:

Community Safety

The Community SafetyLink opens in a new window team works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to support the University community by ensuring there is a safe, secure and friendly environment for students, staff and visitors.

You can phone the Community Safety team on 024 765 22083. In an emergency on campus, phone 024 765 22222 and in an emergency off-campus phone 999, which will take you through to external emergency services.

Students should always call Community Safety for emergency response requirements, i.e. first aid/ambulance/fire, safety and security issues on and off campus, mental health aid, pastoral care, facility support, outdoor event applications and entertainment support including external speaker events. The Community Safety contact phone numbers can be found on the back of student and staff ID cards.

University Children’s Services

Children of Warwick staff and students are eligible to attend the University NurseryLink opens in a new window. Parents interested in placing their child in the nursery should contact the nursery with regards to availability and complete an application formLink opens in a new window as early as possible.

The University also provides a Nursing Room facility to mothers returning from maternity leave, who may wish to express milk or breastfeed privately. This facility is open to staff, students and visitors to the University and is located in room S1.49, Faculty Hub, first floor, Social Sciences Building. The room can be booked directly using the calendarLink opens in a new window.

In recent years, a Holiday CampLink opens in a new window has also been available to primary school age children. Booking opens approximately 6 weeks before the beginning of the individual schemes.