Research and Publications
Full list of publications:
Current research interests include:
- The future trajectory and drivers of Japan’s foreign and security
- Japan’s international relations and ‘grand strategy’
- Defence transformation and new technologies in Japan’s military policy and the Asia-Pacific
- Japanese foreign policy-making
- Japan-China relations
- US-Japan alliance ties
- Japan-North Korea relations
- Multilateral security in the Asia-Pacific
- The political economy of defence production in Japan
- Japan and Asia-Pacific regionalism
- Japanese economic statecraft
- Japanese radicalism and terrorism
- Post-Cold War traditional and non-traditional security policy
- Regionalisation and globalisation
Teaching | Supervisions
Prof Hughes teaches international relations, with a substantive focus on the international relations of Asia-Pacific politics.
International Relations of Asia-Pacific
Prof Hughes supervises doctoral researchers working on topics related to ....
News | Media | Releases
- Prof Hughes was quoted in an article appearing on 6 September 2021 in The Japan Times titled ''U.S. - Japan alliance to take hit from Suga's decision to step down''
- Prof Hughes was quoted in an article appearing on 22 May 2021 in Asia Times titled 'Japan may boost its long-range strike capability'
- Prof Hughes was quoted in an article appearing on 1 Oct 2019 in the Japan Times titled 'Tenuous ties: Few signs of substance behind warming Sino-Japanese relations as communist China marks 70th anniversary'
- Prof Hughes was quoted in an article on 7 May 2019 in the East Asia Forum titled 'Japanese Security Turns To the Stars'