Chris Hughes is Professor of International Politics and Japanese Studies in PAIS and Pro-Vice Chancellor (Education).
More about Prof Hughes on Google Scholar ProfileLink opens in a new window
Prof Hughes is also co-editor of The Pacific ReviewLink opens in a new window.
Research and Publications
Full list of publications:
Current research interests include:
- The future trajectory and drivers of Japan’s foreign and security
- Japan’s international relations and ‘grand strategy’
- Defence transformation and new technologies in Japan’s military policy and the Asia-Pacific
- Japanese foreign policy-making
- Japan-China relations
- US-Japan alliance ties
- Japan-North Korea relations
- Multilateral security in the Asia-Pacific
- The political economy of defence production in Japan
- Japan and Asia-Pacific regionalism
- Japanese economic statecraft
- Japanese radicalism and terrorism
- Post-Cold War traditional and non-traditional security policy
- Regionalisation and globalisation
Teaching | Supervisions
Prof Hughes teaches international relations, with a substantive focus on the international relations of Asia-Pacific politics.
International Relations of Asia-Pacific
Prof Hughes supervises doctoral researchers working on topics related to ....
News | Media | Releases
- Chris appeared on a Asia Scotland Institute roundtable on the subject of 'How Shinzo Abe Changed Japan Forever', including a range of other experts from Japan, the US and UK. The YouTube recording is available at the Asia Scotland Institute website
- Chris launched his new book Japan as a Global Military Power at an event hosted on the 27 September 2022 by the East-Center in Washington DC. Chris's talk was introduced by Satu Limaye, the Center's Director, and discussed by Prof Ellis Krauss of UC San Diego. The YouTube recording of the talk in full is available here EWC YouTube channelLink opens in a new window
- Chris published a short paper 'Japan's Integration into US-Japan Alliance Strategy vis-a-vis Taiwan' on 28 September in an IPSI Dossier on 'Japan, China, Taiwan: Troubled Waters'. IPSI is one of Italy's leading institutes on international policy. The paper is available on the IPSI website.
- Prof Hughes featured in a 20 September podcast produced as part of the Strategic Asia Program of the National Bureau of Asian Research based in Seattle and Washington DC in the US on the topic of 'Shinzo Abe's Political Legacy and Influence on Japan's Geostrategic Role'. The podcast can be accessed on the NBR webpage hereLink opens in a new window
- Prof Hughes has published a new book, Japan as a Global Military Power: New Capabilities, Alliance Integration, Bilateralism-Plus (Cambridge University Press, 2022). The book is available via gold open access for full and free download at: Japan as a Global Military PowerLink opens in a new window
- Prof Hughes was quoted in an article appearing on 5 May 2022 in Japan Today on the new UK-Japan defense deal
- Prof Hughes published on 29 September 2021 a European University Institute policy brief on ‘UK-Japan Strategic Convergence Post-Brexit'
- Prof Hughes was quoted in an article appearing on 6 September 2021 in The Japan Times titled ''U.S. - Japan alliance to take hit from Suga's decision to step down'Link opens in a new window'
- Prof Hughes was quoted in an article appearing on 22 May 2021 in Asia Times titled 'Japan may boost its long-range strike capabilityLink opens in a new window'
- Prof Hughes was quoted in an article appearing on 1 Oct 2019 in the Japan Times titled 'Tenuous ties: Few signs of substance behind warming Sino-Japanese relations as communist China marks 70th anniversaryLink opens in a new window'
- Prof Hughes was quoted in an article on 7 May 2019 in the East Asia Forum titled 'Japanese Security Turns To the Stars'