If you read an interesting entry on someone else's blog, you may want to comment on it. You do not have to be signed in to make a comment. If you are signed in, any comments you make on other people's blogs will by default contain a link to your own blog.
There are two ways to make a comment:
Click on the title of the blog entry you want to comment on and scroll to the bottom of the entry, where you will see a section marked ' Comments' containing any other comments made on this entry, with the oldest comments first. Under the most recent comment you will see a section marked 'Add a comment'.
Click on the ' Comments' link at the bottom of the entry you want to comment on. A new window will pop-up headed ' Comments' containing any comments made on this entry, with the oldest comments first. Under the most recent comment you will see a section marked 'Add a comment'.
- If you are allowed to comment on the entry, you will see spaces for your name, email address and web address underneath 'Add a comment'. If you are not logged in, enter your name, email and web address (email and web address are optional). If you are logged in, your name, university email address and blog web address will be entered automatically.
Note: You may see a message underneath 'Add a comment' saying "You are not allowed to comment on this entry as it has restricted commenting permissions." This means that you cannot comment on this entry.
- Your name will appear at the top of the published comment and will link to your blog. If you would like your name to link to a different web address (url) instead, enter this web address beside 'Url'.
- Write your comment in the large text box under 'Comment'.
- You can see what your comment will look like by clicking on 'Preview'. If you want to change any of your comment, you can continue to edit it in the large text box under 'Comment'. Click 'Preview' again to update the preview of your comment. If you decide you do not want to make a comment after all click on 'Cancel'.
- When you are happy with your comment, click on 'Add comment'. You cannot edit your comment once you have added it, so make sure you are happy with it before you click 'Add comment'.
You will see that your comment now appears at the bottom of the 'Comments' section of this entry. If you have added a comment via the pop-up window method you can close the window by clicking on the cross in the top right hand corner. The person who owns the blog will be notified by email that someone has commented on one of their entries.
Note: If you are logged in you can use our special markup, Textile to format your posts.