Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Homepage contents

Full-width image dimensions are 1170px x 375px.

The feature image is displayed as a background image on screens wider than 768px. The feature image dimensions are 745px x 240px.


About the Care Leavers support

The University offers a wide variety of support for care leavers both pastorally, academically and financially.

If you have lived in care, either with foster carers or in a children’s home and you’re applying to the University of Warwick, we hope this information will help you know what additional support you are entitled to, if you wish to take advantage of this. This could include finance, accommodation and other support services. We know not all students will want to use our services and you are under no obligation to do so but we believe it is still useful to know exactly what is available and to keep updated, if you decide you need additional help or support at a later date.

We have a member of staff Baljit Gill who is the care leaver contact at the University. Baljit works in the Outreach Team and would be more than happy to help with any questions or queries you or your supporters may have.





Baljit Gill
Widening Participation and Outreach Manager
Phone: 02476 574051



Key Facts

The key information is contained within this menu. Open each section to find out more.

Starting university is exciting but it can also bring with it some understandable concerns. Will I make friends? How will I eat well on a student budget? Will I find the work much more difficult than my previous studies?

We have a network of support in place to help you adjust to student life, and to make it as easy as possible to access advice on many different issues.

We don’t just offer support in times of crisis, although we do have services in place to help you in difficult times. Instead, we provide continuous support in a safe, welcoming environment, ensuring that you can make the most of your student experience.

More information for care leavers 
If you choose to stay in University Managed Accommodation you have the option to apply for accommodation for the whole year, however it may involve you moving to different accommodation at different stages in the year particularly if you choose accommodation with shorter lets.

More information on Accommodation
The Warwick Foyer and Care Leavers’ Bursary is available to Foyer residents, Care Leavers and students who have been in continuous full-time education and were in receipt of Income Support and Housing Benefit under the age of 19.
The bursary is paid termly and is designed to help with extra costs that may be incurred, such as accommodation during vacations.
To be eligible you need to be:
  • A home (UK) student Assessed as an independent student by Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland or the Student Awards Agency Scotland and in receipt of the full student support package
  • Studying a full-time undergraduate course
  • Able to provide evidence to support your circumstances – a letter from social Services confirming you are or have been in care, evidence that you have been in receipt of Income Support and Housing Benefit during your post-16 education or a letter confirming you are or have been a Foyer resident
  • If you’ve been in local authority care you may also be entitled to a bursary from your local authority

More information about the Warwick Foyer and Care Leavers’ Bursary