About University Explorers
University Explorers introduces Looked After Children to Higher Education through a varied programme of fun and exciting activities. The programme is delivered in collaboration with the Coventry and Warwickshire Virtual Schools. University Explorers also encourages participants to develop a peer network, build confidence and resilience and achieve goals. By targeting Looked After Children in Year 6, the project is also well-placed to support children with transition to secondary school.
The key information is contained within this menu. Please open each section to find out more.
- To provide an introduction to Higher Education.
- To provide a supportive and positive environment.
- To have fun and experience a positive interaction with education and peers.
- To build confidence and self-esteem throughout the project.
We work in partnership with Coventry and Warwickshire Virtual Schools to understand any specific needs to best support each cohort of children.
Activities typically include:
- Subject and society taster sessions
- Campus treasure hunt
- Team games and icebreakers
- Group project work introducing Higher Education
In 2021, the programme was moved online. The core themes of the project were adapted to suit the virtual world and children took part in a series of four online workshops. Each workshop included icebreakers/games led by Warwick student ambassadors, academic taster sessions from Warwick academics and university information, advice and guidance. Each child also received two resource boxes containing materials for each session plus some additional freebies each week.
Vicki Hill, Widening Participation Officer
Emily Cannon, Widening Participation Officer