Course: BSc Mathematics 1975-78
City of residence: New York
Employer: Con Edison
Interests: Yoga, mind mapping, radiant thinking, running, stair climbing, theatre
Contact details: hilld at usa dot net
What did you study at Warwick?
Mathematics, human learning and Hollywood cinema.
Who were your tutors?
Ian Stewart and Chris Zeeman
Do you have any fond memories?
- Seeing the Coventry Automatics (who became The Specials) at the Student's Union. Hearing John Cale singing Heartbreak Hotel in Rootes Hall. The Clash and Richard Hell and the Voidoids at Tiffany's in Coventry.
- The Film Society. Theatre at the Arts Centre.
- Walking to Kenilworth Castle with friends at 6am after an all-night party.
- Catastrophe Theory with Professor Zeeman. Seeing Pete Atkin on my way home from a term at Warwick.
- Fencing and caving. Leading a month long Rootes Scholarship caving expedition to the caves of County Clare on the west coast of Ireland.
Where did you live?
Rootes Hall, Leamington Spa, Cryfield.
Were you a member of any societies?
I was a member of the Folk Music and Caving Clubs and the Fencing Team
What's your job?
I work in IT. I went to the USA on an 18-month contract, started work in Delaware and then moved to New York. I was offered a full-time job and got a Green Card. I took a six-month leave of absence and travelled around Asia. Then I came back, got married and had a son.
Why did you decide to become an alumni ambassador?
The previous ambassador returned to the UK and I was asked to take the helm.
What kind of people make up the Warwick alumni community in your area? Are they expatriates or locals?
All kinds. There are some really cool people.
Have been back to Warwick for a reunion?
Yes. Very impressive.
Contact David if you want to attend or suggest an event in the New York region or want to make contact with the alumni community there.
Linked In groups for New York alumni:
|Warwick University New York Tri-State Alumni|
|British Consulate-General New York Tri-State Alumni|