Subcultural Greece and Rome 2: Comics
- Greece in SF vs. Greece in comics.
- ‘For Mature Readers’: pressures of the marketplace?
Neil Gaiman’s ‘Endless’, The Sandman (DC/Vertigo):
- Morpheus/Orpheus: dreams and storytellers.
- The Kindly Ones: Aeschylus again.
Warren Ellis’ and Mark Millar’s The Authority (WildStorm):
- Apollo and the Midnighter: ‘slash’ Superman/Batman?
Eric Shanower’s multiple-Eisner-winning Age of Bronze: (Hungry Tiger Press).
- #41 (August 2002): Achilles and Patroclus.
Greek mythology in Manga
Masamune Shirow’s Appleseed (Eclipse):
- A new Olympus (or Atlantis?).
- Briareos Hecatonchires.
- The Gaea Plan: ancient and modern.
Heading film off at the pass?
Frank Miller, 300 (Dark Horse Comics):
- Leonidas as ‘Dark Knight’.
- Spartans as ‘L-Men’; homophobic libertarianism.