Plays to be studied in depth:
Pot of Gold; Prisoners; Brothers Menaechmus; Ghost; Swaggering Soldier; Rope; Amphityro
Self-Tormentor; Brothers; Mother-in-Law.
Week 1: From Greek to Roman
Weeks 2-4: The Techniques of Roman Comedy and Introduction to Plautus
Weeks 5-10: Plautine Plays
Weeks 1-3: Plautine Plays
Weeks 4-5 : Introduction to Terence
Week 6 : Reading Week: No Class
Weeks 7-10 : Terentian Plays
Weeks 1-: 2 Terentian Plays
Weeks 3-4: Revision
Seminar 1 (Week 7):
Can a modern audience appreciate Plautus?
Seminar 2 (Week 10):
1. How Roman was Roman comedy?
2. A comparison of The Brothers Menaechmus and The Comedy of Errors.
Seminar 3 (Week 13):
1. Do Plautus' works work for the reader, or have we lost too much in terms of music and the visual aspect?
Seminar 4 (Week 19):
1. Are the characters of Terence more credible than those of Plautus?
2. Are there any signs that Terence's comedies have a message to impart?