Q800 Syllabus: Set texts for 2017/18
- Tacitus Agricola
- Senatorial decree on Piso Senior
- Juvenal, Satire 3
- Statius Silvae 4.1-3
It is ESSENTIAL that you read these texts BEFORE the start of each term.
In our classes, we will not be translating the texts line by line, but trouble-shooting particularly tricky passages, and commenting on things of stylistic and historical interest. Please come along to the classes having already read the texts, bringing notes on any passages you would like help in translating.
You are advised to copy the online texts, and double-space them before printing them out to allow plenty of space for making notes. The set texts are available via the online module bibliography.
- Read during the summer vacation, before autumn term: Tacitus, Agricola.
- Read over Christmas, before spring term: Piso inscription; Juvenal + Statius Silvae 4.1-2.
- Read over Easter, before summer term: Statius Silvae 4.3.
The following editions will help you in your preparation.
- A.J. Woodman, with C.S. Kraus, Tacitus Agricola (Cambridge 2014) [PA6706.A3]
Lott, J (2012) Texts and translation: SCPP. In: Death and dynasty in early imperial Rome : key sources, with text, translation, and commentary . ed., Cambridge ; New York: Cambridge University Press, Ch.2 (2.6), pp.125-157
Juvenal Satire 3
- Braund, S., Juvenal, Satires: book 1 (Cambridge 1996) [PA 6446.A5] - text and essay on Satire 3 available online
- Coleman, K. Silvae IV (Oxford 1988 - available as Bristol Classical Press reprint, 1998) [PA 6697.A3 + online scan available of text & translation]
LANGUAGE CLASSES – SCHEDULE 2017/18
Mondays at 9-10 in A0.05 (Social Sciences Annex)
Autumn term 2017
- Week 2: - Tacitus, Agricola 1-3
- Week 3: - Tacitus, Agricola 4-9
- Week 4: - Tacitus, Agricola 10-15
- Week 5: - Tacitus, Agricola 16-22
- Week 7: - Tacitus, Agricola 23-31
- Week 8: - Tacitus, Agricola 32-36
- Week 9: - Tacitus, Agricola 37-42
- Week 10 - Tacitus, Agricola 43-46
Spring term 2018
Week 1: - SCPP 1-70
Week 2: - SCPP 71-176
Week 3: - Juvenal Satire 3 vv.1-57
Week 4: - Juvenal Satire 3 vv.58-125
Week 5: - Juvenal Satire 3 vv.126-189
Week 7: - Juvenal Satire 3 vv.190-267
Week 8: - Juvenal Satire 3 vv.268-322
Week 9: - Statius Silvae 4.1
Week 10: - Statius Silvae 4.2
Summer term 2018
Week 1: - Statius Silvae 4.3
Week 2: Revision
Week 3: Bank holiday
Essay 2 tbc
Titles for Q800 students taking module as language option. Your essay should demonstrate close reading of the set text.
Woodman, A.J. (2009) The Cambridge Companion to Tacitus [PA 6716.C3]
Braund, S. (1996) Juvenal Satires I (CUP) [PA 6446.A5 + Learning Grid]
@Freudenburg, K. (2005) The Cambridge Companion to Roman Satire [e-book]
Rudd, N. and Courtney, E. (1977) Juvenal Satires I, III, X (BCP) [PA 6446.A5 - external store]
Courtney, E. (1980) A Commentary on the Satires of Juvenal [PA 6448.C6]