Richard Wallace is a Research Fellow in the Department of Film and Television Studiesm working on the AHRC-funded 'Projection Project'. He gained his BA (Hons) in Film and Literature at the University of Warwick, where he also completed his MA (For Research) in Film and Televisions Studies and PhD in Film and Television Studies. His research interests include aspects of British television history, film and television documentary, and screen comedy.
His PhD thesis examined the comic mockumentary, particularly the use of performance as a source of comedy and the ways in which mockumentary texts ask us to re-think our relationship with public figures such as rock stars and politicians. Between 2013 and 2014 he was the project officer on the ‘Voices of the University: Memories of Warwick, 1965 – 2015’ oral history project running in the Institute of Advances Study at Warwick.
Richard's current research for 'The Projection Project' involves conducting oral history interviews and archival research to explore the figure of the cinema projectionist in Britain. The project aims to chronicle the changing role of projectionists, and in particular we are interested in chronicling the everyday working practices of a group of skilled workers whose vocation has all but disappeared as a result of the introduction of digital projection systems to UK cinemas.
Richard is also a member of the Midlands Television Research Group and convened the group betwenn 2012 and 2014.
Previous Teaching in the Department:
- Spring Term (2013-2014): Seminar tutor on the core First Year module Basic Issues and Methods: Film History (FI106).
- Autimn Term (2013-2014): Course leader on the Second Year module Television History and Criticism (FI205) and the Third Year module Television and Audio Visual Cutures: Case Studies (FI311).
- Spring Term (2012-2013): Course leader on outside option module Introduction to Film Studies (FI101) day and evening class.
- Autum Term (2012-2013): Seminar tutor on the core First Year module Basic Issues and Methods: Film History (FI106).
- Spring/Autumn Terms (2009-2010): Seminar tutor on the core First Year module Basic Issues and Methods: Film Criticism (FI107).
Department of Film and Television Studies
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL UK