Absolute Beginner. Please note, final year students are not normally permitted to take non-accelerated beginners modules.Also, students with certificate in Arabic such as GCSE will not be permitted.
- to enable students to develop competence in a range of predictable everyday tasks;
- to begin to develop strategies for language learning;
- to achieve A1 and to work towards A2 standard of the CEFR (Common European Framework of reference)
This 30 CREDIT module is also available for 24 CREDITS.
3 hours language class each week for 21 weeks.
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore the minimum expected amount of study is 240 hours, which averages 10 hours per week. A substantial amount of independent study is therefore required.
Course Books (must be bought by students)
- Mastering Arabic Book by Jane Wightwick and Mahmoud Gaafar: ISBN 978-1-137-38044-9
- CD- Pack: ISBN 9781137380432
- Book and CD pack: ISBN 978-1-137-38045-6
- Mastering Arabic 1 Activity Book; ISBN 978-1-137-37226-0
Additional Material (Recommended)
- Mastering Arabic Grammar by Jane Wightwick and Mahmoud Gaafar ISNB 978-1-4039-4109-1
- Internet interactive material supplied by teacher.
- Teacher's handouts.
- Moodle (online supplementary material for independent learning)
- Students will develop through practice basic reading and writing, listening and speaking skills.
- Students will acquire a grounding in essential grammar and gain an insight into Arabic society.
- The module is suitable for learners with no background in Arabic or for those with some background knowledge of few basic phrases and the alphabet.
- Successful completion of Arabic 1 qualifies students to progress to Arabic 2.
- Students with certificate in Arabic such as GCSE will not be permitted.
- Apply a basic knowledge of grammar appropriate to the level
- Develop strategies for understanding gist and specific information
- Gain an insight into everyday life in the relevant countries
- Understand short texts in the target language, dealing with everyday material
- Interact in simple way , and ask and answer questions on familiar topics
- Write short simple texts, including personal details
- Getting Started: Greetings; letters of the alphabet : group 1 ( ب ت ث ن ي )
- Introducing yourself: countries and nationalities
- Putting words together; letters of the alphabet: group 2 ( ا د ذ ر ز و )
- The family; letters of the alphabet: group 3 ( ج ح خ ه م )
- Professions; joining letters; letters of the alphabet: group 4 ( س ش ص ض )
- Describing things: letters of the alphabet: group 5 ( ف ق ك ل )
- Polite requests; using public transport
- Where is it? Letters of the alphabet: group 6 ( ط ظ ع غ )
- Asking for and giving directions; describing places
- Likes and dislikes
- Counting things: In the market; shopping for food
- Going Shopping: understanding prices, weights and measurements
- Colours: shopping for clothes
- Going out: ordering food and drink
- Telling the time
- Days of the week; months of the year
- Describing your daily routine
- Comparatives and Superlataives
- Future plans
- Short and long vowels: Fathah, Dammah and Kasrah
- length phenomenon: vowels and consonants
- Tanween, Shadda and Sukuun
- Sun and Moon letters
- Special Arabic Sounds
- Personal pronouns
- Attached pronouns
- Nominal sentences
- The definite article
- Nouns and adjectives
- 'Yes' and 'No' questions and other interrogatives.
- Idafa structure
- Verb patterns: present tense
- Verb patterns: past tense
- Listening, speaking, reading and writing.