This module is offered to students with no or little prior knowledge of Japanese.
This module is the equivalent of Japanese 1 and Japanese 2 combined.
Due to the 'accelerated' nature of the module, evidence of prior linguistic achievement (e.g. a high GCSE grade or A2 CEFR level in a foreign language) is desirable.
● to understand and produce language in familiar and routine situations, using frequently used expressions;
● to develop strategies for language learning;
● to work towards / achieve A2.1 of the Common European Framework of Reference
This is a 24 or 30 CREDIT module.
We aim to teach in the following delivery manner.
Blended learning (online & face-to-face) weekly
- Asynchronous pre-recorded videos (accessible through moodle, to be studied before the synchronous session)
- 90-minutes face-to-face on campus teaching
- 90-minute online synchronous (live) session via Teams
NB: teaching will move fully online in case of new health & safety restrictions.
Some independent study will also be set.
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore the minimum expected amount of study over the course of this module is 240 hours. 10 hours of study a week on average will be required including independent study.
Term 1 - interim test
Term 3 - one reading/writing test + one speaking test
Please note that Term 1 interim test is scheduled to take place on Saturday 12 December 2020
There are no text books required, but students may like to buy:
- Japanese for Busy People: Kana Version Bk. 1, Revised 3rd Edition, AJALT, Kodansha International 2012 ISBN-13: 978-1568363851 (Please note that there are similarly titled books. Please do not buy an old 1995 version or Romanised version.)
The following text book must be bought by students.
- Minna No Nihongo 2nd ver : Bk. 1 w/ Cd (2012) ISBN-13: 978-4883196036 (Please note that you need the 2nd edition)
The following two books are highly recommended for students to buy
- Minna No Nihono 2nd ver : Bk. 1 Translation & Grammatical Notes English ver ISBN-13: 978-4883196043 (for grammar)
- Minna no Nihongo Shokyude Yomeru Topic25 Shkyu1, 2nd edition ISBN-13: 978-4883196890 (for reading)
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- apply a basic knowledge of grammar
- gain insight into everyday life in Japan
- apply strategies for understanding gist and short descriptions
- interact about familiar topics and activities
- write simple texts giving background information and relating to areas of immediate need, using correct characters
The syllabus will include the followings:
Greetings and Introductions, shopping, describing daily routine and events, describing people and places,
asking for permission, expressing prohibition, making comparison, asking for preference, expressing ability or possibility, expressing opinions, etc.
Particles (post-positions), adjectives, verbs, present and past, the te-form of verbs and adjectives, the dictionary form and the nai form of verbs, modifying clauses, etc.
Students will learn to read and write some basic Kanji (Chinese characters).