Absolute Beginners only. This module is offered to students with no prior knowledge of Portuguese. Due to the 'accelerated' aspect of the module, evidence of prior linguistic achievement (e.g. a GCSE A* grade in another European language) is essential.
To develop competence in a range of predictable everyday tasks acquiring essential listening, speaking, readingand writing skills and insight into Lusophone societies.
This is a 24 or 30 CREDIT module.
3 hours language class each week for 21 weeks
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore the minimum expected amount of study is 240 hours, which averages over 10 hours per week. A substantial amount of independent study is therefore required.
Students can make use of Language@Warwick (our virtual learning environment) to facilitate this.
Inês Castro e Silva
Course Textbooks (must be bought by student)
- Português XXI, 1 - Nova Edição (Student and exercise book pack), by Ana Tavares, Lidel, ISBN: 978-989-752-389-2
- Português XXI, 2 - Nova Edição (Student and exercise book pack), by Ana Tavares, Lidel, ISBN: 978-989-752-373-1
- Gramática Ativa 1 - Versão Portuguesa, by Isabel Coimbra and Olga Mata Coimbra, Lidel, ISBN: 978-972-757-638-8
These books can be purchased from the University Bookshop.
A general foundation in language, extending across the four main skills areas (speaking, writing, listening and reading), with an emphasis upon the acquisition of an essential grammatical basis and development of both receptive and productive skills.
Tasks will be set each week to consolidate what you have learnt in class.
By the end of the module, students should be able to
- understand the essentials of grammar and syntax;
- demonstrate a competency in basic writing
- understand short texts in the target language
- demonstrate a reasonable standard of pronunciation and be able to communicate orally in basic situations
- understand spoken language
- show a range of vocabulary and strategies for dealing with unknown vocabulary
The syllabus will include the following:
This module will cover items such as: greetings, introductions, asking for and giving personal information, describing people and places, daily routine, likes and dislikes, making plans and talking about past events.
This module will provide an introduction to fundamental features of Portuguese and essencial basic structures, making it possible to function in a range of everyday situations using the present and past tenses.