This module is aimed at students who have completed the Portuguese beginners accelerated course or at those who have equivalent knowledge as described in detail for that level.
To consolidate and expand learners’ communicative skills in the target language, their intercultural competence, as well as their knowledge of the vocabulary, the grammar and syntax of Portuguese.
Students will be exposed to authentic materials, to the several varieties of the language and will be challenged to engage with current topics in the Lusophone world by performing tasks in the target language. The balanced development of all the skills will be favoured and students’ progression and increased self-awareness with respect to the language learning process will be valued.
30 CREDITS, also available for 24 CREDITS
3 hours language class each week for 21 weeks.
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore the minimum expected amount of study is 240 hours, which averages over 10 hours per week. A substantial amount of independent study is therefore required.
Students can make use of Language@Warwick (our virtual learning environment) to facilitate this.
Course Textbooks (must be bought by student):
- Português XXI, 3 – Nova Edição (Student and exercise book pack), by Ana Tavares, Lidel, ISBN: 978-989-752-374-8
- Gramática Ativa 2 - Segundo o novo acordo ortográfico, by Isabel Coimbra, Lidel, ISBN: 978-972-757-639-5
These books can be purchased from the University Bookshop.
Dicionário Moderno de Inglês-Português / Português-Inglês - ISBN: 978-972-0-01475-7
Dicionário de Português - Ensino Português no Estrangeiro - ISBN: 978-972-0-01888-5
By the end of the module, students should be able to
- apply a basic knowledge of grammar appropriate to the level;
- develop strategies for locating information and understanding structure;
- understand and produce the main ideas of complex text on concrete and abstract topics;
- understand extended speech in a variety of contexts, and the gist of most current affairs programmes and films (including implied meaning);
- read articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems;
- interact with fluency and spontaneity, and account for and sustain viewpoints;
- write clear detailed text on a wide range of subjects; explain viewpoints on topical issues, giving advantages and disadvantages;
By the end of the course, students should be able to perform many tasks at Level B2 Independent user (vantage) of the Common European Framework.
This module will allow students to consolidate and refine their linguistic competence in Portuguese. Attention will be paid to the development of skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) in realistic contexts. The organization of tasks with different ranges of complexity, which bring into play authentic materials, will favour meaningful uses of the language.
Some of the grammatical points which we will focus on:
- Tenses of the indicative mode: Pretérito Perfeito Composto; Pretérito Mais-Que-Perfeito Composto;
- Tenses of the subjunctive mode: Pretérito Perfeito Composto; Pretérito Mais-Que-Perfeito; Futuro Perfeito;
- If clauses;
- Past participle;
- Passive voice;
- Reported speech;
- Personal and impersonal infinitive;
- Direct and indirect object pronouns.
This module will cover topics such as:
- Health and lifestyles;
- New and old technologies: communication and relationships;
- Migrations: opportunities and challenges;
- The environment;
- Lusofonia: geography, culture and linguistic variation.